Kojo Learning Environment support for Blockly

Sanyaade Adekoya

Sep 29, 2018, 9:40:53 AM9/29/18
to kojo-dev
Hi,

Is it possible to have Kojo support for a block based programming like Google Blockly :- https://developers.google.com/blockly/  or Scratch or Snap.

I know Ardublock is a java based:- http://blog.ardublock.com/  ( https://github.com/taweili/ardublock ) uses: OpenBlock @ https://github.com/taweili/openblocks

Hear from you soon!

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
Sanyaade

Lalit Pant

Sep 29, 2018, 10:11:47 AM9/29/18
to sany...@gmail.com, kojo-dev
Hi Sanyaade,

Kojo has focused on text-based programming, and there are currently no plans to support block-based programming.

FYI - one of the Kojo featured that helps with writing text-based programs is code completion (triggered via Ctrl+Space). This makes it pretty simple for even young kids to write programs relatively quickly, even as they get familiar with typing.

Regards,
- Lalit

Björn Regnell

Sep 30, 2018, 10:14:58 AM9/30/18
to Lalit Pant, sany...@gmail.com, kojo-dev
Hi Sanyaade,

Following on Lalit's note on young learner's ability to do text-based programming, I can share my experiences with young learners using block-based programming. I have found that when going beyond simple examples, the block diagrams can get difficult to read and "bulky".

It seems to me that block programming does not really scale from a comprehension point of view, and I think, hence, that it is good from a pedagogical point of view for young learners to get familiar with text-based programming as soon as possible, already while taking the first steps in learning to read and type.

I have no "hard" empirical evidence on this, so it would be nice to find some academic research into the area of program comprehension and didactic wrt block- versus text-based programming. But my experience-based hypotheses are clearly in favor of text-based (with good tool support, of course).

/B