New release announcement - 2.9.07

Lalit Pant

Nov 5, 2020, 11:29:40 PM11/5/20
to kojo-dev, kojo-user
Hi all,

There's a new release out there, and there's a lot of exciting stuff around the new release. Check out the blog post for details:

Cheers,
- Lalit

Massimo Maria Ghisalberti

Nov 6, 2020, 3:38:31 AM11/6/20
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev, kojo-user
Great release, congratulations to Lalit, Björn, and the others. Recently, I am
working on an introductory text on functional programming in OCaml (in italian,
sorry :) ) for high schools.

ciao.

Massimo
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kojo-dev/CABeBrc3izWpU_81yfp1mUO8x5s28hmH%3DP%3DqFv%3DNedtMT8zLtyw%40mail.gmail.com
> .
signature.asc

Bulent Basaran

Jan 2, 2021, 10:45:14 AM1/2/21
to kojo-dev
I would love to do the same in Turkish. Recently translated the wonderful simply-scala tutorial in Kojo to Turkish and I thought that would be a great starting point. But, any particular reason why you are going with OCaml?

ciao!

Ben Bulent

Lalit Pant

Jan 2, 2021, 11:11:29 PM1/2/21
to Bulent Basaran, kojo-dev
> Recently translated the wonderful simply-scala tutorial in Kojo to Turkish
Great work, Bulent. Looking forward to Turkish kids benefiting from this.

Regards,
- Lalit

Massimo Maria Ghisalberti

Jan 4, 2021, 7:05:05 AM1/4/21
to Bulent Basaran, kojo-dev
Great for turkish translation, Kojo rocks.
Kojo is great teaching software (thanks Lalit) and Scala is great programming
language and it will be more and more with Scala 3.
I've always been a fan of functional programming languages and I met ML before
Scala. It's an old, old love.
Why not only Kojo? I think there must be many educational realities with many
different languages, for simply chooseing the more appropriate for personal
skill or students. For example, I also made a small environment for Ruby (in
JRuby https://gitlab.com/minimalprocedure/DuckQuack).
OCaml in particular? Why not ... Functional first, dirty enough for dirty work
(imperative ;) ). From OCaml to F# the step is not complex...

I believe that the functional paradigm is the best to teach programming, the one
that most opens mind. Basically we don't want everyone to become a "real, nude
and crude, programmers", but rather create conditions for students to think.

ciao

Massimo
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kojo-dev/0ae4fb50-a52b-4cd2-bbeb-fd30ec101f18n%40googlegroups.com
> .
signature.asc

Bulent Basaran

Jan 4, 2021, 11:53:23 AM1/4/21
to Massimo Maria Ghisalberti, kojo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Massimo,

Thank you for your email and sharing your thoughts. I agree 100%. Ruby is an old flame of mine. (Are you familiar with Eloquent Ruby? A wonderful book on not just Ruby but fundamentals of programming) DuckQuack looks great! I wish I knew about it 4 years ago!! But, better late than never.

Encouraging students to think better and more creatively.. That's such a worthy objective. Thanks again and godspeed!

Ben Bülent