Removing Protobuf dependency from Data Index Service

Ming Fang

Mar 2, 2021, 1:59:30 PM3/2/21
to Kogito development mailing list
Currently the Data Index Service must be restarted whenever any Kogito micro service changes their protobuf.  This causes a global outage.
Are there any plans to remove this limitation?

Cristiano Nicolai

Mar 2, 2021, 8:23:11 PM3/2/21
to Kogito development mailing list
Hi Ming,

Absolutely, this is something we'll be reviewing in upcoming releases, how to share this schema and also support the evolution of it as you deploy new versions of the processes. Meanwhile, we'll be focusing to enable the Data Index to work independently from the protobuf, meaning that only what we call technical entities ( ProcessInstances, UserTaskInstances, Jobs ) would be available to query.
That means that querying domain specific entities wouldnt be avaible as a side effect. Would that impact your use case at all?

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 4:59 AM Ming Fang <ming...@gmail.com> wrote:
Currently the Data Index Service must be restarted whenever any Kogito micro service changes their protobuf.  This causes a global outage.
Are there any plans to remove this limitation?

Best regards,

Cristiano Nicolai

Ming Fang

Mar 2, 2021, 9:03:47 PM3/2/21
to Kogito development mailing list
Thanks Cristiano.
It's nice to know you're thinking about it.
Geode PDX format is fast, versioned, and searchable using Lucene.
Geode can be used for storage and can be used for messaging to replace Kafka.
Just a thought.

Cristiano Nicolai

Mar 2, 2021, 10:54:26 PM3/2/21
to Kogito development mailing list
Sounds interesting, although we might not be able to implement all alternatives it should be possible to have it pluggable so people can still use the one that best matches their need for certain use cases.
Thanks for sharing that, will keep it in mind.