Versioning System

Lee Bartelme

Jan 6, 2022, 4:56:02 PM1/6/22
to Knative Users
Can anyone explain to me the release versioning system Knative is using. There are 1.x.x releases and 0.x releases mixed together. What's the difference? Maybe a silly question, but I don't get it.

Ville Aikas

Jan 6, 2022, 5:06:04 PM1/6/22
to Lee Bartelme, Knative Users
I can try, and others can correct to me :)

It's using semantic versioning:

So the 0 or 1 in the versioning indicates the major version number.

Little bit of more background:

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 1:56 PM Lee Bartelme <lee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone explain to me the release versioning system Knative is using. There are 1.x.x releases and 0.x releases mixed together. What's the difference? Maybe a silly question, but I don't get it.

Evan Anderson

Jan 6, 2022, 6:04:59 PM1/6/22
to Ville Aikas, Lee Bartelme, Knative Users
This is described a bit more in the Release-1.0 machinery changes doc; we've ended up with two different tagging systems (only one release branch, though).

For each release prior to 1.0 (aka 0.27), we would tag the releases with v0.X.Y, which caused go mod to treat the code as a new release and upgrade to it whenever the user runs go get -u ./...​ in their project.

For releases after Nov 1 (i.e. starting with 1.0 / 0.27), we tag the releases with both knative-v1.X.Y​ and v0.X+27.Y​; the former tag is the public "version number", while the latter tag is for ongoing compatibility with go get​, but shouldn't be used for tagging end-user releases.

We are still issuing patches for several of the 0.X builds; 0.25 and 0.26 will continue to receive patches until Jan 25 and March 8, respectively.