design pattern for classes inside inventory

Pranav Gupta

Mar 12, 2019, 11:50:38 AM3/12/19
to kapitan-discuss
Hi mentors and students,

In the task a single common.yml is mentioned inside classes folder.

So far I have clearly understood that targets link to the yml files inside classes folder which in turn contain parameters and subsequently link to the templated files which can be compiled to generate final configuration files. Now as seen in these examples  we usually break our project into multiple components (like scripts, docs, nginx(in our case)) etc and then a common.yml file can be used for configuration common to all components. So is it fine organizing in this way or we have to put all things under single common.yml ( as shown in task) and use it as the single target.

Thanks for helping out!

Pranav

Pawel Sarbinowski

Mar 12, 2019, 11:54:12 AM3/12/19
to Pranav Gupta, kapitan-discuss
Hi Pranav,

The organisation mentioned in the task is mainly a guideline aimed to help students and isn't obligatory.
You can structure the inventory however you want, as long as it compiles, and produces valid configs and run.sh is actually running.

Best,
Pawel

Pawel Sarbinowski | DevOps Engineer | paw...@google.com

Pranav Gupta