[VOTE] 1.1.1 RC2

Dong Lin

Jun 28, 2018, 9:12:28 PM6/28/18
to d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org, kafka-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 1.1.1.

Apache Kafka 1.1.1 is a bug-fix release for the 1.1 branch that was first released with 1.1.0 about 3 months ago. We have fixed about 25 issues since that release. A few of the more significant fixes include:

KAFKA-6925 - Fix memory leak in StreamsMetricsThreadImpl
KAFKA-6937 - In-sync replica delayed during fetch if replica throttle is exceeded
KAFKA-6917 - Process txn completion asynchronously to avoid deadlock
KAFKA-6893 - Create processors before starting acceptor to avoid ArithmeticException
KAFKA-6870 - Fix ConcurrentModificationException in SampledStat
KAFKA-6878 - Fix NullPointerException when querying global state store
KAFKA-6879 - Invoke session init callbacks outside lock to avoid Controller deadlock
KAFKA-6857 - Prevent follower from truncating to the wrong offset if undefined leader epoch is requested
KAFKA-6854 - Log cleaner fails with transaction markers that are deleted during clean
KAFKA-6747 - Check whether there is in-flight transaction before aborting transaction
KAFKA-6748 - Double check before scheduling a new task after the punctuate call
KAFKA-6739 - Fix IllegalArgumentException when down-converting from V2 to V0/V1
KAFKA-6728 - Fix NullPointerException when instantiating the HeaderConverter

Kafka 1.1.1 release plan:

Release notes for the 1.1.1 release:

*** Please download, test and vote by Thursday, July 3, 12pm PT ***

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
http://home.apache.org/~lindong/kafka-1.1.1-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* Javadoc:
http://home.apache.org/~lindong/kafka-1.1.1-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 1.1 branch) is the 1.1.1-rc2 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/1.1.1-rc2

* Documentation:
http://kafka.apache.org/11/documentation.html

* Protocol:
http://kafka.apache.org/11/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 1.1 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-1.1-jdk7/157/
System tests: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka-branch-builder/1817

Please test and verify the release artifacts and submit a vote for this RC,
or report any issues so we can fix them and get a new RC out ASAP. Although
this release vote requires PMC votes to pass, testing, votes, and bug
reports are valuable and appreciated from everyone.

Regards,
Dong

Jun Rao

Jun 29, 2018, 6:11:04 PM6/29/18
to Dong Lin, dev, Kafka Users, kafka-clients
Hi, Dong,

Thanks for running the release. Verified quickstart on scala 2.12 binary. +1

Jun

Rajini Sivaram

Jun 29, 2018, 7:07:56 PM6/29/18
to Users, Dong Lin, dev, kafka-clients
Hi Dong,

+1 (binding)

Verified binary using quick start, ran tests from source, checked release notes.

Thanks for running the release!

Regards,

Rajini

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:12 PM, Dong Lin <lind...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,
>
> This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 1.1.1.
>
> Apache Kafka 1.1.1 is a bug-fix release for the 1.1 branch that was first
> released with 1.1.0 about 3 months ago. We have fixed about 25 issues since
> that release. A few of the more significant fixes include:
>
> KAFKA-6925 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6925> - Fix
> memory leak in StreamsMetricsThreadImpl
> KAFKA-6937 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6937> - In-sync

> replica delayed during fetch if replica throttle is exceeded

> txn completion asynchronously to avoid deadlock

> processors before starting acceptor to avoid ArithmeticException
> KAFKA-6870 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6870> -
> Fix ConcurrentModificationException in SampledStat
> KAFKA-6878 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6878> - Fix

> NullPointerException when querying global state store

> session init callbacks outside lock to avoid Controller deadlock

> follower from truncating to the wrong offset if undefined leader epoch is
> requested

> cleaner fails with transaction markers that are deleted during clean

> whether there is in-flight transaction before aborting transaction

> check before scheduling a new task after the punctuate call

> Fix IllegalArgumentException when down-converting from V2 to V0/V1

> Fix NullPointerException when instantiating the HeaderConverter
>
> Kafka 1.1.1 release plan:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+1.1.1
>
> Release notes for the 1.1.1 release:
> http://home.apache.org/~lindong/kafka-1.1.1-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>
> *** Please download, test and vote by Thursday, July 3, 12pm PT ***
>
> Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS
>
> * Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
> http://home.apache.org/~lindong/kafka-1.1.1-rc2/
>
> * Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/
>
> * Javadoc:
> http://home.apache.org/~lindong/kafka-1.1.1-rc2/javadoc/
>
> * Tag to be voted upon (off 1.1 branch) is the 1.1.1-rc2 tag:
> https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/1.1.1-rc2
>
> * Documentation:
> http://kafka.apache.org/11/documentation.html
>
> * Protocol:
> http://kafka.apache.org/11/protocol.html
>
> * Successful Jenkins builds for the 1.1 branch:

> anch-builder/1817
>

> Please test and verify the release artifacts and submit a vote for this RC,
> or report any issues so we can fix them and get a new RC out ASAP. Although
> this release vote requires PMC votes to pass, testing, votes, and bug
> reports are valuable and appreciated from everyone.
>

> Regards,
> Dong

> msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%
> 2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com

Matthias J. Sax

Jun 30, 2018, 1:13:13 AM6/30/18
to Rajini Sivaram, Users, Dong Lin, dev, kafka-clients
Hi Dong,

it seems that the kafka-streams-quickstart artifacts are missing. Is it
just me or is the RC incomplete?

-Matthias
> > email to kafka-client...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:kafka-clients%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> > To post to this group, send email to
> kafka-...@googlegroups.com <mailto:kafka-...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients>.
> > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
> > msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%
> > 2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com <http://40mail.gmail.com>
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAOJcB39SBcN4tz4ZmiZsm759KBO3V5NN3g5pvLfiZzCUGZ-n9g%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAOJcB39SBcN4tz4ZmiZsm759KBO3V5NN3g5pvLfiZzCUGZ-n9g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
signature.asc

Dong Lin

Jul 5, 2018, 1:31:34 PM7/5/18
to Skrzypek, Jonathan, dev, Rajini Sivaram, Users, kafka-clients
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the vote! Sorry for late reply. I have been trying to understand whether streams-quickstart is required for release and how to fix the issue. I have limited availability to fix this issue in the past few days.

It seems that all contents to be verified (e.g. source file, binary file, quick start) and verification steps (e.g. signature, https://kafka.apache.org/11/documentation/streams/quickstart) as shown in the first email are not affected directly by the kafka-streams-quickstart artifacts. So I think this RC can go ahead after kafka-streams-quickstart artifacts is uploaded. Hopefully community does not have to re-test and re-vote for this release again :) Please correct me if this is wrong.

Hey Matthias,

Thanks much for helping me with the steps to upload streams-quickstart! I have successfully run the "mvn deploy" command for the streams-quickstart. Do you know where to check if this has been successfully uploaded?

Thanks,
Dong

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Skrzypek, Jonathan <Jonathan...@gs.com> wrote:
Hi,

Will this RC go ahead or should a RC3 be put together ?

>     <mailto:kafka-clients%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
>     > To post to this group, send email to

>     > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients
>     <https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients>.
>     > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
>     > msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%
>     > 2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com <http://40mail.gmail.com>
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
>     > .
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>     >

________________________________

Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<http://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>

Ismael Juma

Jul 5, 2018, 1:38:56 PM7/5/18
to dev, Jonathan...@gs.com, Rajini Sivaram, Kafka Users, kafka-clients
Thanks Dong. There are a couple of quickstart links below:

Ismael

> >     > email to kafka-client...@googlegroups.com

> >     <mailto:kafka-clients%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> >     > To post to this group, send email to
> >     kafka-...@googlegroups.com <mailto:kafka-clients@
> googlegroups.com>.
> >     > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients
> >     <https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients>.
> >     > To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/
> >     > msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%
> >     > 2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com <http://40mail.gmail.com>
> >     >
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_
> KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_
> KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
> >     > .
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >     >

Dong Lin

Jul 5, 2018, 5:41:41 PM7/5/18
to Ismael Juma, dev, Skrzypek, Jonathan, Rajini Sivaram, Kafka Users, kafka-clients
Thanks much for the information Ismael. It seems that the the streams-quickstart files (link) are uploaded on July 5 whereas the binary files (link) are uploaded on Jun 28.

Maybe this RC is good to go? If so, can we get another +1 from PMC?

Thanks!
Dong

> >     <mailto:kafka-clients%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> >     > To post to this group, send email to

> googlegroups.com>.
> >     > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients
> >     <https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients>.
> >     > To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/
> >     > msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%
> >     > 2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com <http://40mail.gmail.com>
> >     >
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_
> KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_
> KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
> >     > .
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >     >
> >

> > --

> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAOJcB39SBcN4tz4ZmiZsm
> > 759KBO3V5NN3g5pvLfiZzCUGZ-n9g%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/
> CAOJcB39SBcN4tz4ZmiZsm759KBO3V5NN3g5pvLfiZzCUGZ-n9g%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> ________________________________
>
> Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that
> may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we
> use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our
> legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact,
> please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<htt
> p://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>

Ismael Juma

Jul 5, 2018, 5:57:36 PM7/5/18
to Dong Lin, dev, Skrzypek, Jonathan, Rajini Sivaram, Kafka Users, kafka-clients
We need to decide if KAFKA-7136 is a blocker or not. At the moment, it's not clear to me.

Ismael
> >     > email to kafka-client...@googlegroups.com

> >     <mailto:kafka-clients%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> >     > To post to this group, send email to

> googlegroups.com>.
> >     > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients
> >     <https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients>.
> >     > To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/
> >     > msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%
> >     > 2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com <http://40mail.gmail.com>
> >     >
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_
> KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAAaarBb1KsyD_
> KLuz6V4pfKQiUNQFLb9Lb_eNU%2BsWjd7Vr%2B_%2Bw%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
> >     > .
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >     >
> >

> > --

> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kafka-clients.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAOJcB39SBcN4tz4ZmiZsm
> > 759KBO3V5NN3g5pvLfiZzCUGZ-n9g%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/
> CAOJcB39SBcN4tz4ZmiZsm759KBO3V5NN3g5pvLfiZzCUGZ-n9g%40mail.
> gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> ________________________________
>
> Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that
> may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we
> use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our
> legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact,
> please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<htt
> p://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>

Dong Lin

Jul 6, 2018, 9:44:51 PM7/6/18
to Ismael Juma, dev, Skrzypek, Jonathan, Rajini Sivaram, Kafka Users, kafka-clients
Hi all,

We found a deadlock that affects metrics reporters that use synchronization (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7136). Since it may introduce new issue in the bug fix release, I will create another RC that includes the fix.

Thank you all for testing and voting for this release! Please help test RC3 if you have time.

Regards,
Dong