[VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

David Arthur

Apr 8, 2020, 12:03:34 AM4/8/20
to dev, users, kafka-clients
Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the forth candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.5.0.

* TLS 1.3 support (1.2 is now the default)
* Co-groups for Kafka Streams
* Incremental rebalance for Kafka Consumer
* New metrics for better operational insight
* Upgrade Zookeeper to 3.5.7
* Deprecate support for Scala 2.11

Release notes for the 2.5.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc3/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Friday April 10th 5pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc3/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc3/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.5 branch) is the 2.5.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.5.0-rc3

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/protocol.html

Successful Jenkins builds to follow

Thanks!
David

David Arthur

Apr 8, 2020, 10:10:36 AM4/8/20
to dev, users, kafka-clients
Passing Jenkins build on 2.5 branch: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.5-jdk8/90/
--
David Arthur

Bill Bejeck

Apr 10, 2020, 10:23:21 AM4/10/20
to David Arthur, dev, users, kafka-clients
Hi David,

+1 (non-binding) Verified signatures, built jars from source, ran unit and integration tests, all passed.

Thanks for running the release.

-Bill

Manikumar

Apr 10, 2020, 1:55:24 PM4/10/20
to dev, David Arthur, users, kafka-clients
Hi David,

+1 (binding)

- Verified signatures, artifacts,  Release notes
- Built from sources, ran tests
- Ran core/streams quick start for Scala 2.13 binary, ran few manual tests
- Verified docs

As discussed offline, we need to add upgrade instructions to 2.5 docs.

Thanks for driving the release.

Thanks,
Manikumar

Israel Ekpo

Apr 10, 2020, 6:21:01 PM4/10/20
to Manikumar, dev, David Arthur, users, kafka-clients
+1 (non-binding)

Used the following environment in my validation of the release artifacts: Ubuntu 18.04, OpenJDK 11, Scala 2.13.1, Gradle 5.6.2

Verified GPG Signatures for all release artifacts
Verified md5 sha1 sha512 checksums for each artifact
Checked Scala and Java Docs
Ran Unit and Integration Tests successfully

One comment I have is that the following release artifacts initially in the release process were not reachable directly for validation like the other release artifacts.
If we can improve that in future releases that would be great.

Thanks for running the release, David.

Jun Rao

Apr 13, 2020, 5:25:50 PM4/13/20
to David Arthur, dev, users, kafka-clients
Hi, David,

Thanks for running the release. Verified quickstart on the scala 2.12 binary. +1 from me.

Jun