Chess puzzle format

Jonathan Colledge

Nov 4, 2021, 9:03:06 AM11/4/21
to jwtc
I love the ability to add puzzles. I don't think anything else does this - and not many puzzles in other apps are pitched for young players. However, what am I doing wrong with the below puzzles please? They don't work in the app (I have added one with a variation, but the others don't work too).

[Event "Puzzle 1"]
[Site "DESKTOP-TVMETDN"]
[Date "2021.11.04"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Find the best moves for White"]
[Black "Jonathan"]
[Result "*"]
[Time "10:14:32"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "4k3/8/8/4PK2/8/8/8/8 w - - 6 17"]
[PlyCount "9"]

17. Ke6 Kd8 18. Kf7 Kd7 19. e6+ Kd8 20. e7+ Kd7 21. e8=Q+ *

[Event "Computer chess game"]
[Site "DESKTOP-TVMETDN"]
[Date "2021.11.04"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Find the best move for White"]
[Black "SOS 5.1 for Arena"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Time "10:19:35"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "2b3rk/ppp3pp/8/6N1/8/8/PPP3PP/1K6 w - - 0 17"]
[PlyCount "1"]

17. Nf7# 1-0

[Event "Computer chess game"]
[Site "DESKTOP-TVMETDN"]
[Date "2021.11.04"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Find the best move for White"]
[Black "SOS 5.1 for Arena"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Time "10:26:06"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "2r1k3/p2p4/b2P4/2P2P1p/N6B/1Q3N2/4PP1P/2R2RK1 w - - 2 29"]
[PlyCount "1"]

29. Qg8# 1-0

[Event "Computer chess game"]
[Site "DESKTOP-TVMETDN"]
[Date "2021.11.04"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Find the best moves for White"]
[Black "Jonathan"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Time "12:27:14"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "6k1/5ppp/8/3p4/RB2r1Q1/8/5PPP/5RK1 w - - 1 29"]
[PlyCount "3"]

29. Ra8+ (29. Qc8+ Re8 30. Qxe8#) 29. .. Re8 30. Rxe8# 1-0

Jeroen Carolus

Nov 4, 2021, 10:56:42 AM11/4/21
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

Can you describe in more detail what the exact steps are that you take in the app to import the puzzles? If you have some screenshots even better...

Cheers, Jeroen

Jonathan Colledge

Nov 4, 2021, 3:28:32 PM11/4/21
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Yes, here is a video https://youtu.be/UxbXjkyfmH8

Even if I make a wrong move, it says position already solved, instead of the green tick (the last puzzle in the video, I make a wrong move). The first it should have multiple moves.
Thanks,
Jonathan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "jwtc" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jwtc/CAJbCCb6fhRhYFMRU2W804Z4%2BGXPkOErfEDXZunnwS3J8fx_imQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Jeroen Carolus

Nov 5, 2021, 9:20:04 AM11/5/21
to jw...@googlegroups.com
The puzzles are of a special type "Mate in two". So any puzzle that needs more or less than two moves, will not work. The already solved indicates this in the case of less moves.

The practice format however allows for one to three moves if i recall correctly.

Jonathan Colledge

Nov 5, 2021, 10:15:43 AM11/5/21
to jw...@googlegroups.com
OK cool, so if I understand correctly, I can create practice pgns with up to 3 moves and that'll be fine? I did, however, get these mate in one puzzles to work in the puzzle part (though I didn't do many to test):
https://groups.google.com/g/jwtc/c/ISwgrUkUwic/m/FfW8iGRmI9EJ
So if I kept it to one move that might work too?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Jeroen Carolus

Nov 8, 2021, 8:32:08 AM11/8/21
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Yes I think you should try the practice section.
Good luck!

Jonathan Colledge

Nov 11, 2021, 8:28:12 AM11/11/21
to jwtc
Thanks, I used this format for practice sets and it says failed (I assumed the format would be the same as in the assets folder on the Github page). This is what I used:

4k3/8/8/4PK2/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1@1. Ke6 Kd8 2. Kf7 Kd7 3. e6+ Kd8
2b3rk/ppp3pp/8/6N1/8/8/PPP3PP/1K6 w - - 0 1@1. Nf7#
2r1k3/p2p4/b2P4/2P2P1p/N6B/1Q3N2/4PP1P/2R2RK1 w - - 0 1@1. Qg8#

I put this in a txt file and the app can't see that. I tried a PGN and it sees that, but fails the import.

What am I doing wrong please?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Jeroen Carolus

Nov 14, 2021, 9:02:19 AM11/14/21
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Please try the same format as the puzzles, I think there is a difference with the format for initial import by the app and manual import by a user.