Guix-Jupyter: Towards self-contained, reproducible notebooks

Ludovic Courtès

Oct 10, 2019, 8:08:08 AM10/10/19
to jup...@googlegroups.com, Pierre-Antoine Rouby
Hello,

I’m happy to announce the first beta release of Guix-Jupyter, a kernel
that allows users to annotate their notebooks with the list of software
dependencies the notebook requires, and have them deployed in a
reproducible fashion through GNU Guix:

https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2019/10/towards-reproducible-jupyter-notebooks/

As I wrote in this post, we’re more familiar with Guix than with Jupyter
and we’d very much welcome your feedback on this approach!

Thanks,
Ludo’.
signature.asc

Jason Grout

Oct 10, 2019, 12:53:00 PM10/10/19
to Project Jupyter, Pierre-Antoine Rouby
That is a *very* interesting approach to a tricky problem many people encounter, and you solution looks very well thought out and executed. Thanks for sharing!

Jason

Jason Anderson

Oct 10, 2019, 2:00:05 PM10/10/19
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks for sharing - I found the ability to switch kernels inline as the Notebook progresses to be particularly interesting. The code handling the kernel spawning and proxying is a very good reference for me, as I'm investigating a related problem. Nice work!

Cheers,
Another Jason

Simon Biggs

Oct 11, 2019, 4:37:03 AM10/11/19
to Project Jupyter
Wow, just wanted to say thank you. I shall be taking this for a spin, will let you know how I go.

Massively appreciate the work you've gone to here!