Jupyter Kernel Gateway 2.2.0 and NB2KG 0.5.0 are available

Kevin Bates

Feb 26, 2019, 7:17:48 PM2/26/19
to Project Jupyter
The combination of these releases essentially enable the serving of kernelspec resource files (primarily kernel icons) that wasn't available previously.

NB2KG is a Jupyter Notebook server extension that enables the Notebook server to use remote kernels hosted by a Jupyter "Gateway" (i.e., Kernel Gateway or Enterprise Gateway) - enabling a bring-your-own-notebook paradigm.  It has recently been embedded into the Notebook application so we expect this repository to move to a sustaining role shortly.

Jupyter Kernel Gateway is a headless web server built on Notebook that exposes the management of Jupyter kernels on a shared server.

Jupyter Enterprise Gateway extends JKG and manages kernels distributed across resource-managed clusters.

Carol Willing

Feb 26, 2019, 8:15:30 PM2/26/19
to jup...@googlegroups.com, Project Jupyter
Thanks Kevin for sharing. Congrats to all who contributed to these releases.

Sent from Mailspring

Brian Granger

Mar 1, 2019, 5:16:14 PM3/1/19
to Project Jupyter
Congrats Kevin!

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Hui Si Goh

Mar 5, 2019, 3:26:17 AM3/5/19
to Project Jupyter
Thanks Kevin for the wonderful news. My team and I have been looking forward to this feature and are wondering if a release for Jupyter Enterprise Gateway will be available soon?

Kevin Bates

Mar 5, 2019, 11:02:44 AM3/5/19
to Project Jupyter
Thank you for your interest in Enterprise Gateway.  We hope to have our 2.0 release generally available by the end of the month.  There are a couple dependent PRs we'd like to get into the 6.0 releases of Notebook and jupyter_client, so we might hold things up for that - assuming the timings for those releases are relatively compatible to ours.

The 2.0 release will provide support for containerized operations (where each kernel is in its own container) with Kubernetes being the primary target, although Docker and Docker Swarm will also be supported.  This will also support Apache Spark in the Kubernetes configurations.  We have a 2.0 beta release available now.

If you're more interested in non-containerized configurations, our 1.1.1 release supports Hadoop YARN with Apache Spark, where kernels are launched in cluster mode.  1.x has been available since August of last year.

Thanks!