Reverting to a previous checkpoint

Tony Vignaux

Mar 15, 2018, 11:53:41 PM3/15/18
to Project Jupyter
I have somehow deleted a cell in a notebook and I need to revert it to a previous checkpoint. But it only goes one back. How do I get the one before that?

Roland Weber

Mar 16, 2018, 2:43:33 AM3/16/18
to Project Jupyter
Restore from your backup?

The default implementation keeps only one checkpoint. Unless you plugged in a different checkpointing implementation, there's no going back beyond one.

best regards,
  Roland

Tony Vignaux

Mar 16, 2018, 4:09:43 AM3/16/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that (disappointing) reply,

Thomas Kluyver

Mar 16, 2018, 9:02:22 AM3/16/18
to Project Jupyter
To explain a bit, we keep one checkpoint in case autosave fires at just the wrong moment. We don't try to keep multiple checkpoints because that would be reinventing version control badly. We recommend using a version control system (like git or mercurial).

Paul Hobson

Mar 16, 2018, 9:09:39 AM3/16/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Just to make sure this isn't an X-Y type problem. You can go to the Edit menu in the toolbar and "Undo Delete Cell".

I'm pretty that in more recent versions that "undo" history goes pretty far back.

Speculating further, if you have jupyter logging on, you might be able to inspect your log file for the chunk of code that was in the cell.
-paul