Welcome Ian, Grant, and Paul to the Jupyter Team!

Project Jupyter

Sep 19, 2016, 3:18:24 PM9/19/16
to Project Jupyter

We're excited to add three new developers to the Jupyter team. Please join us in welcoming Ian Rose, Grant Nestor, and Paul Ivanoff.

Ian Rose

is a post-doctoral scholar with Fernando Perez at the Berkeley Institute for Data Science (BIDS) and a native of the Bay Area. Ian completed his PhD at UC Berkeley in Earth and Planetary Science and his undergraduate training in Geophysics at Yale University. Ian’s graduate studies were focused on computational geodynamics, modeling the thermal, chemical, and rotational evolution of Earth and other planetary bodies (see his profile here: ian-r-rose.github.io/pages/about.html). He also developed software for modeling the physics of planetary interiors, as well as for Earth science education (check out ian-r-rose.github.io/interactive_earth). Ian will be working on bringing real-time collaboration to Jupyter. Outside of work he enjoys camping, backpacking, and road-trips with quixotic destinations.

Grant Nestor

is a business guy turned designer turned developer. He studied Business at USC, worked in Business Development at Factual, worked in UX design at Sparkwave, and is founder of Play Company (an app design/development studio in LA). Grant started contributing to atom-notebook (an interface for viewing and composing Jupyter Notebooks within the Atom text editor) last year. He is now a full-time member of the Jupyter team and will be working primarily on core maintenance of the notebook and ipywidgets projects. Grant has worked on several side-projects including github.com/gnestor/magic-console, speaks/consults about React, React Native, and serverless architectures, and enjoys surfing, climbing, and making music.

Paul Ivanoff

re-joined the Jupyter team as a Bloomberg devloper after spending several years Disqus where he was part of a great backend and data team. Before that, he spent six years (“mostly not working on my thesis at UC Berkeley” he tells us) but instead contributing to to the scientific Python ecosystem, especially matplotlib, IPython, and the IPython notebook. Paul conveyed to us that “when Bloomberg reached out to me with a compelling position to work on those open-source projects again from their SF office, such a tremendous opportunity was hard to pass up. You could say Jupyter has a large gravitational pull that's hard to escape!” We’re happy and excited to have you back, Paul!

Welcome again, everyone & see you all on the GitHubs,
Jamie

Fernando Perez

Sep 19, 2016, 3:24:06 PM9/19/16
to Project Jupyter
Great to have both new faces on board, as well as the return of the inimitable Paul!! Welcome all :)​

Matthias Bussonnier

Sep 19, 2016, 4:43:47 PM9/19/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Great to have these introductions !

Just want to add that Grant have been working with us for a few weeks
now and have already been involved in a lot of improvement of the
classic notebook, and already made a few discrete minor releases !

I haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time with Ian yet, but we
will try to restart the work that stalled on JupyterDrive and realtime
collaboration. When this this was first started that almost 2 years
ago it might have been a bit early. Though the code should not require
too much work to be compatible with JupyterLab.

I'm also extremely happy to see Paul who always bring a lot of good
mood to the team ! I'm looking forward to a lot of newvi feature and
bug reports !

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Fernando Perez <fpere...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great to have both new faces on board, as well as the return of the
> inimitable Paul!! Welcome all :)

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/CAHAreOrB%3DB7uPtR1W%3DC35ToyWOmn-JOq2c5DLB171z64Q11FEQ%40mail.gmail.com.

ruv7...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 6:34:10 PM9/19/16
to Project Jupyter, jup...@googlegroups.com
Welcome everyone! I look forward to meeting you/working with you.

Carol Willing

Sep 19, 2016, 6:53:39 PM9/19/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
A Jupyter development hat trick! A warm welcome Ian, welcome again Grant, and welcome back Paul. I’m looking forward to working with you soon.

Warmly,

Carol

Carol Willing

Research Software Engineer
Project Jupyter at Cal Poly SLO

Director, Python Software Foundation

Signature Strengths
Empathy - Relator - Ideation - Strategic - Learner

signature.asc

Ian Rose

Sep 19, 2016, 6:58:06 PM9/19/16
to Project Jupyter
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know everybody, and to getting my hands dirty in the codebase!

Best,
Ian

Damián Avila

Sep 20, 2016, 10:40:34 AM9/20/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Welcome aboard Ian and Grant!! Nice to have you both working on Jupyter!!

And a big re-welcome to Paul... it is great and amazing to have you back again ;-)

Damián