Find the rogue train: nice example of notebook use

Thomas Kluyver

Dec 1, 2016, 7:20:59 AM12/1/16
to Project Jupyter
We have many, many examples of notebooks in use now, but this one still struck me as a great example of something with an immediate practical impact:

https://blog.data.gov.sg/how-we-caught-the-circle-line-rogue-train-with-data-79405c86ab6a#.v48zug54c

Carol Willing

Dec 1, 2016, 11:39:26 AM12/1/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this example notebook and the blog post. Very well done. If anyone knows the authors, this would make an interesting conference talk.

Carol Willing

Research Software Engineer, Project Jupyter
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Director, Python Software Foundation

Strengths: Empathy, Relator, Ideation, Strategic, Learner

Sent from Nylas N1, the extensible, open source mail client.

Brian Granger

Dec 1, 2016, 2:54:30 PM12/1/16
to Project Jupyter
Very cool notebook, and some top-notch data investigation!

Cheers,

Brian

On Dec 1 2016, at 4:21 am, Thomas Kluyver <tak...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have many, many examples of notebooks in use now, but this one still struck me as a great example of something with an immediate practical impact:

https://blog.data.gov.sg/how-we-caught-the-circle-line-rogue-train-with-data-79405c86ab6a#.v48zug54c

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

John Lam

Dec 10, 2016, 5:22:46 PM12/10/16
to Project Jupyter
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but while the authors claim they used a notebook to do the computations, what I saw at the end of the link was a Medium post. It seems to me like what they did was manually convert their Jupyter notebook into a Medium post, which was probably a lot of work.

Is there some way of easily taking a Jupyter notebook and just publishing its HTML as a fragment that could be embedded in a Medium post, and with an accompanying link to the .ipynb file (or better yet to where the .ipynb file is hosted in an Azure Notebook service library?)

Would love to see something like this happen. Please let me know what we can / should do to make this happen.

Thx!
-John (PM on the Azure Notebook Service).

Brian Granger

Dec 10, 2016, 8:08:10 PM12/10/16
to Project Jupyter
At one point I played with a notebook -> medium post converter, but
the Medium API was pretty limited. More specifically, it was pretty
tough to format cells with multiple outputs in a manner that was in
any way reasonable. I think they also don't have any support for
LaTeX.

However, if you have really simple notebooks that lack these
complications, I don't think it was very difficult to do this. Here is
a rough sketch:

* Use nbconvert to convert a notebook to HTMl or markdown
* Use the Medium Python API to upload it:

https://github.com/Medium/medium-sdk-python

Cheers,

Brian

John Lam

Dec 13, 2016, 12:03:37 AM12/13/16
to Project Jupyter
Thanks, Brian. I'll carve out some time to play around with this idea over the holidays and report back what I find.