Android Native FrontEnd for Jupyter Notebook

Kazuma Arino

Jan 7, 2018, 10:21:46 PM1/7/18
to Project Jupyter
Hi, I'm creating native android Notebook frontend.

It's still alpha stage, but now basic functionality working and I can start using for my daily work (though still unstable).
Here is the basic demo of how it looks like:

PR is welcommed :-)

Play page

Some details:
- This app connect to localhost with specified port number. You must setup portfowarding
- This app only support token authentication. no password support.
- Basic cell execution is done via websocket, while save-restart kernel-file browsing is via REST request

Thanks.

Thomas Kluyver

Jan 8, 2018, 6:44:03 AM1/8/18
to Project Jupyter
Cool, I'm definitely going to play with this on my tablet when I'm back home. Thanks Kazuma!

Kazuma Arino

Jan 8, 2018, 7:58:22 PM1/8/18
to Project Jupyter
Thank you for your interested.
If connecting to kernel fail, this app is just crush without any hint.

So settieg up environment might be a little difficult now.
Goog luck!

Thomas Kluyver

Feb 7, 2018, 12:32:39 PM2/7/18
to Project Jupyter
I took longer than I expected to get round to it, but I've got it installed and working on my tablet. Nice work!

Obviously a nice next step would be to allow it to connect to a remote URL, so port forwarding isn't needed. I think this should be as simple as replacing a few hardcoded copies of 'localhost' in StateMachine.java with an address they get from another input. After that, it might be neat to use a QR code to transfer the IP and the security token from the computer.

What steps are needed to build it from source and install it directly on an Android device? I'm sure that's obvious for regular Android developers, but I'm not one.

BTW, we're not keen on people combining the Jupyter logo with other elements. Could we ask you to pick a different logo for the app? If you're interested, we might be able to ask a designer to work with you on a logo (I don't know if we have any designers at the moment, but we sometimes do).

Thanks,
Thomas

Kazuma Arino

Feb 10, 2018, 8:58:54 AM2/10/18
to Project Jupyter
As you notice, supporting non-localhost is easy.
The only reason I hardcode localhost is that I personally use Jupyter via ssh portforwarding only.
Using QR code for transfer IP seems cool.

Personally, I'll focus on stability issue for a while, to ensure to work collect at least in my enviroment.
Then I'll support other connection method (like remote URL) as a next step. But PR is always welcomed :-).

For building this app, use AndroidStudio (I guess latest versin should work), open cloned directory, and standard RUN proceduer must be enough.
As you says, it's obvious for Android developers, but not so simple for web developers (yes, that's android...).

For logo, I don't want to bother Jupyter guys and not so much bound to current one.
I'm not a designer and just write this logo personally by myself with half an hour.
But I have no idea what the new logo should be.
If your designer help me, I'm really appreciate.

Anyway, thank you for your trial and feedback.

Thomas Kluyver

Feb 10, 2018, 12:33:42 PM2/10/18
to Project Jupyter
Thanks, that sounds good. I might get round to making a PR at some point.

I've opened an issue on the design repo to see if anyone's interested in working with you on a logo:
https://github.com/jupyter/design/issues/49

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Feb 10, 2018, 3:50:23 PM2/10/18
to Project Jupyter
On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 6:32:39 AM UTC+13, takowl wrote:

BTW, we're not keen on people combining the Jupyter logo with other elements.

Do we need a community-developed logo motif, freely usable by related projects, that the Jupyter project does not own?

Thomas Kluyver

Feb 12, 2018, 6:23:31 AM2/12/18
to Project Jupyter
We have a 'powered by Jupyter' logo which we encourage projects to use, but it doesn't lend itself to combining with other things. So if you want to design an alternative Jupyter motif to use for such logos, go for it!

(Unfortunately, I don't know where you can get the 'powered by' logo except by snipping it out of the brand guide PDF. Could someone who has it put it into the jupyter/design repo?)

Matthias Bussonnier

Feb 12, 2018, 1:08:53 PM2/12/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
See https://github.com/jupyter/design/tree/master/Powered%20by%20Jupyter%20-%20Draft

There is somewhere a share dropbox folder which is not organized with lots of stuff like that. I can't guaranty they are the official and final versions.
--
Matthias