Feature Request: "Date Modified" in File List

Perry Grossman

Sep 19, 2016, 10:05:45 AM9/19/16
to Project Jupyter
Feature Request:

Would it it be possible to put a "date modified" column in the File list?
As with Ubuntu, Windows, Mac, I find that helps me find the most recent file that I was working on
(since my file names are not always as informative as I would like them to be).

Thanks,
Perry

oscar6echo

Sep 20, 2016, 4:28:31 PM9/20/16
to Project Jupyter
I would agree with Perry's suggestion and going a bit further I would like to suggest a couple of other improvements to the Jupyter file explorer:
- a type field (.ipynb, .txt, .py, folder, etc)
- a comment field, mostly blank expect for notebooks, then it would be the nb's metadata 'comment' field, if any.
- the ability to sort the columns.
- an omnibox to filter out anything that does not contain what the user types in - very convenient to search large directories.

This seems feasible with https://datatables.net/ and would probably make this 'home' page more user friendly.
(I am working to deploy JupyterHub in a corporate LAN and must pay attention user experience - accustomed to Windows)

Is there a particular reason why this page does not have the features above (or similar), except lack of time ?

It seems to me the layout of this page is independent of the rest of the app. If I wanted (and dared to dive in) where in the code base should I look and modify?

Would such a change be considered an improvement and susceptible to be accepted by the community ?
Or would such an effort be considered wasted with the upcoming JupyterLab project ?

Thx for any comment / guidance

Matthias Bussonnier

Sep 20, 2016, 5:09:48 PM9/20/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

> Is there a particular reason why this page does not have the features above (or similar), except lack of time ?

Most of that is on notebook master (ordering by date and name), not
yet the filtering but that will be in JupyterLab at some point.

> - a comment field, mostly blank expect for notebooks, then it would be the nb's metadata 'comment' field, if any.

This one is a "No" for technical reasons, for the same reasons we
don't display the language of notebook on the dashboard.
This requires potentially loading and parsing Gigabytes of Json data
to get this info, which is not reasonable as notebook are Json and
then not seekable you _have to_ parse the totality of each files. We
thought about this for a long time and the think the cost/benefits are
not worth it.
It could be optional for non-filebase storage backend, but then it can
be shipped as an extension instead of by default.

The Jupyter-Incubartor org as a content management system that add
full-text indexing and search of notebook using advance queries, you
might be interested in that.

oscar6echo

Sep 20, 2016, 5:45:35 PM9/20/16
to Project Jupyter

Thank you for your quick answer.

Re what's on notebook master, my files/folder appear sorted by type then alphabetically (case insensitive), but I don't know how to sort them by last modified date (it does not show) - where can it be configured ? - sorry if the answer is obvious.

Ok clear for the rest.

Thx

Matthias Bussonnier

Sep 20, 2016, 5:52:22 PM9/20/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry if I was unclear, when I said "master" this was implying that
you need to install from source. I'm not sure if it has been released
yet.

The UI is then pretty obvious (See attachment).

If it's not currently available with the last version of the notebook,
then it should be when a new release will be published.
Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 14.49.04.png

oscar6echo

Sep 20, 2016, 6:08:34 PM9/20/16
to Project Jupyter