Running Jupyterlab on multiple servers with DNS round robin

Rishikesh Bhalerao

May 20, 2020, 1:49:09 AM5/20/20
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hello Team,

We have jupyterlab instances running on 5 different servers. These servers have NFS home directories, i.e. same content under user's home directory is available on all the servers.
We have created a URL(hostname) to access jupyterlab in DNS Round Robin by creating 5 A records of 5 IPs with same FQDN.

We are facing the issue of AUTH Token Expiry when user lands on a new node and this is leading to auto-save fail issue.
Auto Save interval is of 5 minutes.

Could you please help how efficiently this can be configured to run on 5 servers?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks & Regards
Rishikesh

Jason Anderson

May 20, 2020, 5:58:52 PM5/20/20
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rishikesh,

It sounds like an issue where each server is generating its own authentication or encryption token. Are you specifying the authentication token manually[1], and is it the same value for all servers?

If you’re using JupyterHub (it does not sound like it based on your question), the same would apply for the crypto key, which is used to encrypt the session cookie.

Hope that helps,
/Jason

Rishikesh Bhalerao

May 21, 2020, 7:34:56 AM5/21/20
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jason

Thanks for your reply. I am using Jupyterlab integrated with Jupyterhub.
 I have below four configs added in my jupyterhub_config.py. This is the single config file I am maintaining, I had installed jupyterhub and jupyterlab using anaconda3.

c.ConfigurableHTTPProxy.auth_token = ''

c.NotebookApp.token = ''

Attached is the jupyterhub_config.py.

Thanks