Running "condo remove _nb_ext_config" for all JupyterHub Users

Gregory Pickett

Aug 7, 2017, 1:03:21 PM8/7/17
to Project Jupyter
Hello!

I am currently supporting a JupyterHub server for multiple users, and one request that has come up is to clear up our kernel list.

We have some duplicates with tags such as [root] and [conda], and this has caused some confusion. On my own account, I have managed to clean up the list using the "condo remove _nb_ext_config" command as mentioned here: https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/issues/1716.

After this, I have reached out to the other users and found that while this command cleaned up my kernel list, it did not effect theirs. Since we want to minimize the steps for the users, I was wondering if there was anyway to run this command for all users at the same time?

Thank you!

MinRK

Aug 8, 2017, 4:08:50 AM8/8/17
to Project Jupyter
Does each user have their own conda env or anaconda install, or is there a shared environment? Are you using Docker/Kubernetes or a local system Spawner? If every user has their own env, then you will need to remove this package in each env. If this is the case, presumably you have something that is creating those envs to start with, so you can ensure the package isn't present as part of that process. If there's a shared install, then only removing it in the single env is all you need. If users still saw it, it could be because there server was already running and had loaded the extension, and they wouldn't have it on next restart.

-Min

Thank you!