JupyterLab Migration

Steven Silvester

Oct 13, 2016, 9:20:41 AM10/13/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi all,

Yesterday we moved JupyterLab and some associated repositories to their own Github organization (https://github.com/jupyterlab).
We also created a `@jupyterlab` organization on npmjs.org.
Note that this means that `npm install jupyter-js-services` will become `npm install @jupyterlab/services`.
Please bear with us over the next couple of days while we complete the migration.

The affected repositories are:

Jupyter Repo                                      JupyterLab Repo
------------------                                      -----------------------
jupyterlab                                            jupyterlab
jupyter-js-services                              services
jupyterlab-extension-builder               extension-builder
jupyterlab-extension-cookiecutter-js  extension-cookiecutter-js
jupyterlab-extension-cookiecutter-ts  extension-cookiecutter-ts
jupyterlab_geojson                             jupyterlab_geojson

Regards,

Steve Silvester

MinRK

Oct 14, 2016, 8:41:31 AM10/14/16
to Project Jupyter
This means that really all Jupyter javascript is actually called "juptyerlab" now, yes? Any new Jupyter js would go on the jupyterlab org, even if it's not to do with jupyterlab (e.g. services)?

-Min

Brian Granger

Oct 14, 2016, 9:41:39 AM10/14/16
to Project Jupyter
Great question! We talked about this and I can provide some of the
reasoning...more than willing to reconsider if needed...

* From the versioning perspective, we are releasing juptyerlab and
jupyter-js-service is lock step.
* From a "who is working on what" it is the same group of folks
working on jupyterlab and jupyter-js-services.
* While jupyter-js-services can be used independently of jupyterlab,
its main usage case is jupyterlab. This is similar to
config-http-proxy, which is a general tool that could be used outside
of jupyterhub (and even outside any jupyter related thing), but
because its main usage case is jupyterhub, it lives in the jupyterhub
org.
* Like jupyter-js-service, all of the other individual parts of
jupyterlab (cells, notebooks, etc.) can also be used outside of
jupyterlab.

However, I don't think this means that all jupyter related javascript
need to live in jupyterlab. Based on the above, the relevant questions
are:

* What other parts of the project is the JS closely related to?
* Who is working on what?

For example, there will likely be jupyterhub plugins for jupyterlab. I
would think those would live in the jupyterhub org. Another would be
any frontend JS code for nbdime...

Does this make sense or are there other aspects we missed?

Cheers,

Brian
>> email to jupyter+u...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/151ead66-3116-4242-9b68-773a67d91c23%40googlegroups.com.

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

MinRK

Oct 14, 2016, 9:51:33 AM10/14/16
to Project Jupyter
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Brian Granger <elli...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Good heuristics.

For example, there will likely be jupyterhub plugins for jupyterlab. I
would think those would live in the jupyterhub org. Another would be
any frontend JS code for nbdime...

Does this make sense or are there other aspects we missed?

Makes sense! I like the namespace effects of orgs.

-Min

Cheers,

Brian

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/151ead66-3116-4242-9b68-773a67d91c23%40googlegroups.com.

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Brian Granger

Oct 14, 2016, 10:05:31 AM10/14/16
to Project Jupyter
It is interesting that the downsides of adding more orgs is relatively
small, whereas the downsides of adding more repos feels more
significant...although I am not proposing an org per repo ;-)

>> > --
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/CAHNn8BV8CsiURTkJFZ%3D-GcM6nPYAgr%2BbXQGLDuKE80qwGrkdzg%40mail.gmail.com.
>>

>> --
>> Brian E. Granger
>> Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
>> @ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
>> bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com
>>
>> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/CAHNn8BXnDuDatgZRBA6cCHDprzCDStyvtfwSNLJiWPBFWGYSCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

MinRK

Oct 14, 2016, 10:12:04 AM10/14/16
to Project Jupyter
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Brian Granger <elli...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is interesting that the downsides of adding more orgs is relatively
small, whereas the downsides of adding more repos feels more
significant...although I am not proposing an org per repo ;-)

I think there's a hierarchy effect. All the jupyterhub repos feel like one thing to me because they are on an org, and their total volume of activity is manageable. They are also easier for people who aren't interested in JupyterHub to ignore. Same goes for jupyterlab-related things, now that they've moved. There's a threshold where following all the repos on an org stops being feasible, and orgs can reduce the effective number of 'things' to keep track of by putting them in buckets.

>> > --
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/CAHNn8BV8CsiURTkJFZ%3D-GcM6nPYAgr%2BbXQGLDuKE80qwGrkdzg%40mail.gmail.com.
>>

>> --
>> Brian E. Granger
>> Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
>> @ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
>> bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com
>>
>> --

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Sylvain Corlay

Oct 16, 2016, 5:42:55 PM10/16/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Although in the case of jupyter-js-services, there are a couple of other projects that use it.

S.