Creating a new notebook inconsistent between home screen and within active notebook.

Mark Murphy

Feb 12, 2018, 8:08:23 PM2/12/18
to Project Jupyter
So normally when I try to create a new notebook I will go to the directory that I want the notebook and select "New" on the right side of the screen and "Python 3" for a new notebook.

However after several updates I have noticed that when I do this the new notebook is created in the Jupyter start directory rather than the directory I am currently showing in the home page. No matter what folding I am in, it will always just create the new untitled document in the base directory. This is not just for Python but R NBs as well.

There is a second way to make a new notebook. And this is from an already opened notebook. "File" -> "New Notebook" if I do this, then the new notebook is created in the same folder as the current notebook.

Any ideas why the "New" option on the Home screen wont use the current directory? Any ideas how to reset this?

Thanks

Mark M

Fernando Perez

Feb 12, 2018, 11:02:32 PM2/12/18
to Project Jupyter
You're most likely experiencing this:

with notebook 5.3.1, sorry.  If so, an upgrade to 5.4.0 will solve the issue:  https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/pull/3264.

Cheers,

Mark Murphy

Feb 14, 2018, 2:13:39 PM2/14/18
to Project Jupyter

Thank you Fernando!
Guess my key word searching was not good enough.

Fernando Perez

Feb 14, 2018, 8:35:38 PM2/14/18
to Project Jupyter
No worries, took me a bit to find it too, and I just knew when I saw your post b/c I'd had to fix it on our campus clusters a couple days ago :)