Thanks for SciPy, and Tomorrow's JupyterHub Miniworkshop

Matthias Bussonnier

Jul 21, 2016, 2:55:11 PM7/21/16
to Project Jupyter
Hello all,

As you might have seen, last week was SciPy2016 in Austin, so most of us were
overwhelmed during a week, it will take us quite some time to catch up with the
back-log. If you've asked a question, opened an issue, and still don't have a
response, it probably slipped through the crack, so as usual feel free to ping
us after some time, or open a new one !

We can and will do better ! If you are a new user looking to start contributing
a few new issues on IPython and JupyterLab are easy for a beginner and would
have a high impact ! Feel free to come by!

I feel like I'm seeing more and more answer on the mailing list and on GitHub
done by many who are not among the main developers. Thanks to all of you who
pitch in on Stack Overflow, Reddit, HackerNews, Twitter and the various mailing
list, and even to those that do Jupyter Tech Support in person ! We try to blur
the line between developers and users, and seeing a good chunk of the knowledge
to be in the community hands is great !

Many of side projects I have seen last week are of really good quality and it
would be worth discussing integrating then into the main repositories by default.

SciPy was an extremely extremely useful event, to meet with our user base, and
even to be able to work with other developers we only have the chance to meet
every now and then. Thanks to all the sponsors who allowed that to happen.

I want to send big thanks to all the JupyterLab team who worked hard behind the
scene, and did a fantastic job before SciPy and an even better one during
SciPy, literally fixing bug and rebasing PRs at the last minutes before the
JupyterLab presentation.

Afshin, Chris, David, Jason, Steven, Sylvain as well as Ryan who help with one
of the first JupyterLab plug-in before the Main presentation, and have been
pushing JupyterLab and Phosphor forward for a year now.

Huge thanks to Brian and the CalPoly folks that are also doing a lot of work
that often does not end up in GitHub metrics. In particular a huge chunk of
SciPy was spent doing user testing on the new JupyterLab, so thanks to:

Charnpreet, Elliot, Farica, Katie, Matt, Reese, Roshan, Spoorthy, as well as
the ~30 users that gave us some of their time to be guinea pig and tried the
new JupyterLab, while they were recording [they got a new triblend Jupyter
Shirt].

We also had various kind of feedback from users, like for example concern about
wether the notebook format would change (No it will not), and various other
comments and questions we will try to address during the next few weeks while we
catch up and get through all the notes we have taken.

If you were there you might have met Ana who took care of the organisation
(we/you wouldn't have Jupyter T-shirt without her), Jamie our project manager,
who is making sure we keep our head on our shoulders, and Carol our
Documentation grand master.

Let's not forget Min, who gave a multiple talks on ipyparallel/Dask, Jess
who gave an extremely popular talk about nbflow, and Mike who is slowly starting
to get up to speed on the project.

We missed many of you who couldn't made it this year, like Fernando, Thomas,
Kyle, Jon, ... And hope to see you next year.

Don't forget to subscribe/ check the newsletter, that should get more
information and links soon ! (https://newsletter.jupyter.org/

And don't forget to join tomorrow JupyterHub MiniWorkshop:

I'm  sure I've forgotten something/someone and will realize just after
posting this, apologies if it's the case.

Thanks to all,

Brian Granger

Jul 21, 2016, 4:10:04 PM7/21/16
to Project Jupyter
Matthias,

Thanks for the thoughtful and complete summary!

Cheers,

Brian

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com
Message has been deleted

ruv7...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2016, 9:10:34 PM7/21/16
to Project Jupyter
Matthias - thanks for writing this - great to see you in Austin! I would add a shout out to Carol for presenting her thoughts during the Diversity Luncheon on how mentoring others can help increase diversity within our community. Thanks also to you for all your efforts during the conference, in particular for all the jokes and for taking the lead during the Jupyter BOF.

Best,

Fernando Perez

Jul 22, 2016, 4:08:23 AM7/22/16
to Project Jupyter
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM, <ruv7...@gmail.com> wrote:
Matthias - thanks for writing this - great to see you in Austin! I would add a shout out to Carol for presenting her thoughts during the Diversity Luncheon on how mentoring others can help increase diversity within our community. Thanks also to you for all your efforts during the conference, in particular for all the jokes and for taking the lead during the Jupyter BOF.

+lots!

I want to thank everyone from the project who participated at SciPy, I sadly couldn't make it this year but I heard lots of good things.  We may have started as a tiny hack, but today we are a large project and it's important that we convey leadership not only on the purely technical, but also on how we build a better community.

That's why the combination of new tools must go hand-in-hand with building up our new contributor pipeline at the sprints and tackling the often difficult discussions about effective approaches to   diversity, fairness and healthier community. Kudos to Carol for having given us so much on this front (our doc situation is already much better than before she came on board, and we know that was a big barrier to newcomers).

Best to all,

ps - for anyone interested, don't forget our JHub workshop tomorrow! All details now at the repo:

Damián Avila

Jul 22, 2016, 8:54:09 AM7/22/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the summary Matthias, and thanks to all the people who worked hard during the whole SciPy event!!

Damián

Matthias Bussonnier

Jul 22, 2016, 12:35:15 PM7/22/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:09 PM, <ruv7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matthias - thanks for writing this - great to see you in Austin! I would add
> a shout out to Carol for presenting her thoughts during the Diversity
> Luncheon on how mentoring others can help increase diversity within our
> community.

Thanks I was not at this luncheon, but heard great things !

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:07 AM, Fernando Perez <fpere...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] I sadly couldn't make it this year but I heard lots of good things. We may have
> started as a tiny hack, but today we are a large project and it's important
> that we convey leadership not only on the purely technical, but also on how
> we build a better community.

We missed you there ! And hope you can make it next year.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 5:54 AM, Damián Avila <damia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the summary Matthias, and thanks to all the people who worked
> hard during the whole SciPy event!!

We missed you to Damián !