Jupyter Notebook 5.2.0

Grant Nestor

Oct 13, 2017, 1:55:50 PM10/13/17
to Project Jupyter
We are pleased to announce the release of Jupyter Notebook 5.2.0. This is a minor release that includes mostly bug fixes and improvements with the notable addition of RTL (right-to-left) support.

You can install the new version of the notebook now using pip:

pip install --upgrade notebook

Or conda (it may be a few days before packages are available):

conda upgrade notebook

Changelog
  • Make all files in the dashboard editable by default and provide a whitelist of viewable file extensions (#2911).
  • Ensure that the root directory is not hidden (#2907).
  • Fix CodeMirror styling issue (#2880).
  • Update error handling on APIHandlers (#2853).
  • Upgrade xterm.js to 2.9.2 (#2849).
  • Add Chinese translations (depends on upcoming UI implementation) (#2804).
  • Allow for simpler customization of output_prompt in custom.js (#2774).
  • Use RFC5987 encoding for filenames (#2767).
  • Add path to the resources metadata (#2753).
  • Make extraKeys consistent between notebook and editor views (#2745).
  • Add RTL (right-to-left) support (#2357).
Credits

This release has been a team effort and we would like to thank the following 23 people who contributed:We look forward to your feedback and contributions!

Kyle Kelley

Oct 13, 2017, 2:33:57 PM10/13/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Wahoo!

There is another big item that was added to this release, which is message buffering during disconnect: https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/pull/2871 The PR didn't get tagged 5.2, so even though it got included in the release it didn't make its way into the release notes.

# What this means

For JupyterHub deployments, if you lose connection (wifi dropped out, closed laptop), the server will buffer messages until you reconnect with the same tab. After you connect again, all the outputs you would have missed otherwise will get sent to the frontend and you'll have your complete notebook!

## Caveats

Any messages sent from the kernel between when you actually lost connection and when the server notices will be lost. This is especially prevalent when you're using JupyterHub on a VPN that gives you access to the Notebook where you keep your wifi running yet lose access to the host.

Kyle Kelley (@rgbkrklambdaops.com)

Damián Avila

Oct 13, 2017, 6:19:25 PM10/13/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the release!

And thanks Kyle for mentioning the message buffering during disconnect (a lot of people will be happy with this enhancement!).

Cheers.

Damián Avila

Grant Nestor

Oct 14, 2017, 6:51:14 PM10/14/17
to Project Jupyter
The changelog and credits have been updated on the blog to include all PRs and contributors 👍

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/7af32d02-e450-449a-bf36-6ade9c282e06%40googlegroups.com.
Kyle Kelley (@rgbkrklambdaops.com)

Damián Avila

Brian Granger

Oct 14, 2017, 8:02:35 PM10/14/17
to Project Jupyter
Congrats everyone!

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Grant Nestor <grant...@gmail.com> wrote:

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com