Binder Lets Me Upload Custom Modules!?

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Mar 10, 2018, 2:33:07 AM3/10/18
to Project Jupyter
Hey, I’m impressed. Just for fun, I thought I would put my Qahirah Notebooks on mybinder.org. Initially they couldn’t find qahirah.py, of course, but once I had uploaded that, they seemed to work. And here they are.

Matthias Geier

Mar 10, 2018, 4:21:16 AM3/10/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 8:33 AM, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
Hey, I’m impressed. Just for fun, I thought I would put my Qahirah Notebooks on mybinder.org. Initially they couldn’t find qahirah.py, of course, but once I had uploaded that, they seemed to work. And here they are.

Binder indeed is impressive!

But your notebook examples still don't work, you'll have to specify the additional requirements as described in http://mybinder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/using.html.

I've taken the liberty to make a PR: https://github.com/ldo/qahirah_notebooks/pull/1

Nice notebooks, BTW, very informative!

You should probably put Qahirah on PyPI?

cheers,
Matthias

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Mar 11, 2018, 10:29:49 PM3/11/18
to Project Jupyter
On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 10:21:16 PM UTC+13, Matthias Geier wrote:
But your notebook examples still don't work, you'll have to specify the additional requirements as described in http://mybinder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/using.html.

Thanks for that info. I assume that my uploading the module was only working for that particular instance. Then I found I couldn’t delete it, though I could replace it with a newer version.

Is there a way to delete repos off mybinder.org?

Matthias Geier

Mar 14, 2018, 4:10:31 PM3/14/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
> On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 10:21:16 PM UTC+13, Matthias Geier wrote:
>>
>> But your notebook examples still don't work, you'll have to specify the
>> additional requirements as described in
>> http://mybinder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/using.html.
>
> Thanks for that info. I assume that my uploading the module was only working
> for that particular instance. Then I found I couldn’t delete it, though I
> could replace it with a newer version.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "upload", "instance", "delete" and
"replace", can you provide details about what you did?

> Is there a way to delete repos off mybinder.org?

I'm not an expert at all, but I guess the answer is "no".

It doesn't really make sense to delete anything from mybinder.org,
since it only takes something that's publicly available, transforms it
and makes the result publicly available, too.
Also, anyone in the world can take your public repos and use them with binder.
They just need to visit the link (e.g.
https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/ldo/qahirah_notebooks/master) and they
don't need your permission.

I guess conceptually it's quite similar to nbviewer, which also allows
anyone in the world to view a transformed version of your notebooks,
e.g.: http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/ldo/qahirah_notebooks/blob/master/The%20Cubic%20B%C3%A9zier%20Curve.ipynb.

I guess if you delete your public repo, the binder link (and the
nbviewer link) will stop working (but I didn't verify this!).
But why would you want to do that anyway?

cheers,
Matthias