Scala in Jupyter

testb...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2017, 6:18:51 AM8/7/17
to Project Jupyter
Hi,
Is there any matured package that provides scala notebook in JupyterHub?

If not available, does anyone know what matured opensource library can I use? Thanks!

Doug Blank

Aug 7, 2017, 9:23:34 AM8/7/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Check out https://github.com/twosigma/beakerx

They have an early release and appear to be quickly heading to a table release.

-Doug

sp...@draves.org

Aug 8, 2017, 6:41:07 PM8/8/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Doug!

Indeed we have a a suite of JVM kernels (Scala, Java, Groovy, Clojure, Kotlin, and SQL) under active development.
They are nearly ready for their first release, just need to get the windows installer fixed and a bit of documentation cleanup.
You can "conda install -c beakerx beakerx" on linux/mac.  "pip install beakerx" partly works (including on windows), see the issue with the workarounds required if you want to go that way.
However that version is old.  We are moving fast so I recommend building from source.

Documentation starts at:

Many thanks to Doug and others (like Joe Pallas, Hadrien Mary, and Sam Wincott) who have contributed code and bug reports.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Best, -Scott