Moving Terminado into Jupyter maintenance

Thomas Kluyver

Nov 20, 2017, 8:50:42 AM11/20/17
to Project Jupyter
Terminado (http://terminado.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ ) is part of the machinery that we use for interactive terminals in the browser. Xterm.js (https://xtermjs.org/ ) provides the frontend in the browser, which is where most of the complexity is needed, while Terminado is a relatively simple part that runs on the server. It integrates with the Tornado web framework, which the Jupyter Notebook is built on.

Currently, Terminado is purely for Unix-like systems. However, there is a library called winpty which provides the underlying feature to make similar functionality possible on Windows. The Spyder developers have done some impressive work to package this up in a form that is readily accessible from Python and pip-installable, and Steven has opened a pull request on Terminado to use this.

It would certainly be nice to provide terminals on Windows as well, but I'm not confident I understand the Windows side of things well enough to maintain it. Steven has offered to help with maintenance (thanks!), but I'd like to propose moving it into the Jupyter organisation to make this easier, and to facilitate other people contributing to its maintenance.

Terminado has generally been a very low-maintenance project - it's simple glue between a Unix pty and a tornado websocket. Windows support may add some load, but I don't see it ever needing many changes. Jupyter is the only user I'm aware of, though over 100 people have 'starred' it, so it may have some others.

Thanks,
Thomas

Matthias Bussonnier

Nov 20, 2017, 8:59:49 AM11/20/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
I'm +1 to transferring the repository. I would also try to ping
whoever-we-know at Microsoft, as enabling this will likely impact them
the most.
--
Matthias

Brian Granger

Nov 20, 2017, 5:40:53 PM11/20/17
to Project Jupyter
+1, let me know if you want help reaching out to MSFT folks
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/CANJQusUghzVD-PvsmmfZw6zMSLGs4iT1SNMjT6Ox%2Bew_Qn3P_A%40mail.gmail.com.

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Steven Silvester

Nov 20, 2017, 6:27:26 PM11/20/17
to Project Jupyter
+1 from me as well!

Jason Grout

Nov 20, 2017, 10:46:51 PM11/20/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com

+1 to moving into Jupyter.

Damián Avila

Nov 21, 2017, 6:48:11 AM11/21/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
+1 as well.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jupyter/5e69c964-9e68-426c-a120-d7bdea2236a1%40googlegroups.com.

Damián Avila

Thomas Kluyver

Nov 21, 2017, 8:07:10 AM11/21/17
to Project Jupyter
Thanks everyone. I wasn't expecting any controversy about this. I'll do it now.

Jason Grout

Nov 21, 2017, 10:38:01 AM11/21/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
When you do this, can you clean up a few things related to the license? For example, there is both a LICENSE and COPYING file in that repo. Also, project standards are that each file notes the copyright, etc. (You know all this, I'm just reminding of the checklist for moving things into the org: https://github.com/jupyter/governance/blob/master/newsubprojects.md#incorporation)

Thanks again!

Jason

+1 as well.

Damián Avila

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Nov 30, 2017, 9:27:05 PM11/30/17
to Project Jupyter
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:50:42 AM UTC+13, takowl wrote:
It would certainly be nice to provide terminals on Windows as well ...

But Microsoft has added a Linux layer to Windows. Won’t this make the issue moot?

Fernando Perez

Dec 1, 2017, 12:07:53 AM12/1/17
to Project Jupyter
Enthusiastic after-the-fact +1, thanks! Very happy to see this.

While WSL  is *absolutely awesome*, it's not enabled by default and is a Windows 10-only feature.  It would likely also require running Jupyter from the Linux side of the fence, this means that a Win64 installation of Python (a likely scenario for many, even if they use WSL, since debugging on say VSCode off a WSL Python is tricky) wouldn't be supported.

Having out-of-the-box support for terminals on Windows against the Win64 Python would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Damián Avila

Dec 1, 2017, 7:07:42 AM12/1/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com