How to get ipython3-qtconsole running in Jupyter world?

Shriramana Sharma

May 17, 2018, 10:25:10 AM5/17/18
to Project Jupyter
Hello. I was happily using IPython3's QtConsole and on my Kubuntu I only had to install the package ipython3-qtconsole and I'd be able to just call up the app and simply use it.

Now with the transition to Jupyter the contents of the packages have all changed. All I want is to use the current equivalent of the old IPython3 QtConsole to interactively use Python3. Please advise me as to what packages I need to install on Kubuntu Bionic and how to invoke the app. I tried reading the docs but with the Jupyter docs and old IPy docs and new ones I'm totally confused.

Please help! Thank you!

Thomas Kluyver

May 17, 2018, 11:15:03 AM5/17/18
to Project Jupyter
The package on pip and conda is now called 'qtconsole'. I wouldn't recommend installing Jupyter through apt, because Ubuntu's packages are usually outdated.

Simon Biggs

May 17, 2018, 8:57:25 PM5/17/18
to Project Jupyter
On Ubuntu I do the following:

curl -L https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv-installer/raw/master/bin/pyenv-installer | bash
bash
pyenv install  3.6.5
pip install qtconsole
jupyter qtconsole

If you have trouble with that you might be better off downloading Anaconda -- https://www.anaconda.com/download/#linux

On 17 May 2018 at 16:25, Shriramana Sharma <jama...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello. I was happily using IPython3's QtConsole and on my Kubuntu I only had to install the package ipython3-qtconsole and I'd be able to just call up the app and simply use it.

Now with the transition to Jupyter the contents of the packages have all changed. All I want is to use the current equivalent of the old IPython3 QtConsole to interactively use Python3. Please advise me as to what packages I need to install on Kubuntu Bionic and how to invoke the app. I tried reading the docs but with the Jupyter docs and old IPy docs and new ones I'm totally confused.

Please help! Thank you!

Shriramana Sharma

May 17, 2018, 11:16:27 PM5/17/18
to Project Jupyter
Thanks all very much! Special thanks to takluyver whose sympy packages I have used from Launchpad earlier. ☺

'pip3 install qtconsole' followed by 'jupyter qtconsole' works fine for me. I also created the following Jupyter-Console.desktop file and put it in ~/.local/share/applications/ to get it in my KDE apps menu:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Name=Jupyter QtConsole
Comment=Starts the Jupyter QtConsole
Type=Application
Exec=jupyter qtconsole
Icon=/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/qtconsole/resources/icon/JupyterConsole.svg
Categories=Development

Shriramana Sharma

Feb 8, 2019, 4:45:51 AM2/8/19
to Project Jupyter
On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 8:46:27 AM UTC+5:30, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
'pip3 install qtconsole' followed by 'jupyter qtconsole' works fine for me. I also created the following Jupyter-Console.desktop file and put it in ~/.local/share/applications/ to get it in my KDE apps menu:

Hello. Just pinging this earlier thread to specifically note that installing the `python3-qtconsole` and `jupyter-core` packages from the Kubuntu Bionic LTS APT don't seem to work, as Takowl earlier warned. As I noted in my earlier post, only installing from PIP gets it working. Note that I haven't tried Kubuntu Cosmic packages because I'm sticking with LTS releases.