Opening Jupyter Notebook via Terminal--Linux Mint 18.1

Taner Kiral

Jun 3, 2017, 6:19:28 PM6/3/17
to Project Jupyter
Hi,

I've recently installed Anaconda on my laptop and have been attempting to open a Jupyter notebook.  When I run

jupyter notebook

there's a permission error.  The error reads:

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/run/user/1000/jupyter/notebook_cookie_secret'

I'm able to open the notebook with

sudo jupyter notebook --allow-root

but I'd rather not have to allow root access every time I open a notebook.

According to this link, this has something to do with the ownership of a library ending in /Library/Jupyter (it's not in my home folder and I haven't found a /Library folder).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Taner

Thomas Kluyver

Jun 8, 2017, 9:35:55 AM6/8/17
to Project Jupyter
On 3 June 2017 at 23:19, Taner Kiral <t.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
Permission denied: '/run/user/1000/jupyter/notebook_cookie_secret'

That file - or one of the folders it's in - has been created by root at some point. All files in /run/user/1000 should be owned by your user. Delete /run/user/1000/jupyter (or restart your computer, which should clear it), and try again.

Thomas

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Jun 11, 2017, 5:45:40 AM6/11/17
to Project Jupyter
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 10:19:28 AM UTC+12, Taner Kiral wrote:

According to this link, this has something to do with the ownership of a library ending in /Library/Jupyter (it's not in my home folder and I haven't found a /Library folder).

That Link is talking about Mac things, which are not applicable to Linux. The “/run/user” thing is characteristic of a Linux system that uses systemd. Try takowl’s advice.