An example of what can be built with the JupyterLab ecosystem

Simon Biggs

Feb 9, 2018, 3:24:23 AM2/9/18
to Project Jupyter
Hi,

Standing upon the shoulders of giants I have created a tool that allows one to quickly and easily create powerful reactive form like front ends for python
scripts and packages using markdown.

Check out https://github.com/SimonBiggs/scriptedforms to take it for a spin. Should take less than 5 mins to be able to see the power of what it can do.

Building this was only possible because the upcoming JupyterLab has been built in such a beautifully modular way.

Thank you Team Jupyter! :)

Cheers,
Simon

Brian Granger

Feb 9, 2018, 11:24:44 AM2/9/18
to Project Jupyter
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Simon Biggs

Feb 9, 2018, 2:20:54 PM2/9/18
to Project Jupyter
Thank Brian :)

Simon Biggs

Feb 9, 2018, 10:28:08 PM2/9/18
to Project Jupyter
Is it okay if I resubmit this with a more informative title and more prominent link? I realised the way I presented it, it was very easy to pass over on the digest email...

On Sat., 10 Feb. 2018, 6:20 am Simon Biggs, <amongt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank Brian :)

Fernando Perez

Feb 12, 2018, 4:32:33 PM2/12/18
to Project Jupyter
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Simon Biggs <amongt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it okay if I resubmit this with a more informative title and more prominent link? I realised the way I presented it, it was very easy to pass over on the digest email...

No prob from me, always good to highlight how folks are adopting the JLab architecture for new and productive uses (I'll actually try to include this as a great example of this practice in an upcoming talk of mine where I'll spend some time on JLab as a modular architecture that we want wide adoption for :)

Simon Biggs

Feb 13, 2018, 2:49:21 AM2/13/18
to Project Jupyter
Hi Fernando,

Thank you for the encouragement. Really chuffed that you want to include what I have done as an example in the talk you are giving. Puts a huge smile on my face. My supervisor was also quite impressed.

I shall re-post the link with a bit more prominent detail.

Thanks again :).
Cheers,
Simon

Fernando Perez

Feb 13, 2018, 1:45:33 PM2/13/18
to Project Jupyter
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:49 PM, Simon Biggs <amongt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Fernando,

Thank you for the encouragement. Really chuffed that you want to include what I have done as an example in the talk you are giving. Puts a huge smile on my face. My supervisor was also quite impressed.

Works perfectly, got it running yesterday without any problems, thanks!

Lovely work, thanks for sharing.

Best

Simon Biggs

Feb 27, 2018, 7:51:07 AM2/27/18
to Project Jupyter
Hi Fernando,

I'm interested to know whether or not you ended up using ScriptedForms as an example in your talk? Also might you happen to know someone who might want to work on ScriptedForms with me? I am quite keen on the possibility of being able to code collaboratively with someone on it, it takes two to code review. If you know someone who might be interested please let me know.

Thanks Fernando,

Best,

Simon

Fernando Perez

Mar 4, 2018, 2:42:20 PM3/4/18
to Project Jupyter
Hi Simon,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:51 AM, Simon Biggs <amongt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Fernando,

I'm interested to know whether or not you ended up using ScriptedForms as an example in your talk? Also might you happen to know someone who might want to work on ScriptedForms with me? I am quite keen on the possibility of being able to code collaboratively with someone on it, it takes two to code review. If you know someone who might be interested please let me know.

I did! In recent weeks I had a chance to give more or less the same talk at PyLadies Vancouver, the CS Department at UBC in Vancouver, and the Biostatistics seminar at Stanford. In all three I demoed your work (with link/credit) as a great illustration of someone building something new with the *building blocks* of JupyterLab but not the UI.  This is exactly the kind of development that makes me happy: as much as we want users to adopt the Lab UI itself as an end-point, the next two stages of real impact are:

- adoption of it as an extensible platform with new extensions and plugins: already under way, though obviously it will take a while before all existing extensions (at least most of the really actively used/developed ones) migrate.

- adoption as an architecture to build brand new tools that rely only on the underlying machinery but present a new UI to the user, tailored to different use cases.  This is what you did, and I hope it will be the first of many.

Cheers,