Authenticate to Jupyter Notebook Server API

Philip Matheson

Apr 12, 2017, 11:27:07 AM4/12/17
to Project Jupyter
Hey all,

I noticed that Jupyterhub docs state the following about loading config files...

Since the single-user server extends the notebook server application, it still loads configuration from the ipython_notebook_config.py config file. Each user may have one of these files in $HOME/.ipython/profile_default/. IPython also supports loading system-wide config files from /etc/ipython/, which is the place to put configuration that you want to affect all of your users.

but the Jupyter docs say the config file is called "jupyter_notebook_config.py" (I assume that would also mean the sys wide location is /etc/jupyter)

Is this correct ? I'm trying to load a custom config file when a new user server is spawned and not having any luck.

thank you,

-phil

Philip Matheson

Apr 12, 2017, 11:28:38 AM4/12/17
to Project Jupyter
fixing title

Thomas Kluyver

Apr 12, 2017, 11:34:17 AM4/12/17
to Project Jupyter
I think the Jupyterhub docs are out of date there; it should be jupyter_notebook_config.py and /etc/jupyter/ . PRs welcome!

Philip Matheson

Apr 12, 2017, 12:40:53 PM4/12/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Done. thanks for the help!

-phil

MinRK

Apr 19, 2017, 10:41:07 AM4/19/17
to Project Jupyter

It sounds like you might have an out of date version of the docs. The current version of that documentation appears to have the right filenames and paths.

-Min

Carol Willing

Apr 19, 2017, 10:50:26 AM4/19/17
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the confusion Philip. The stable docs (up to 0.7.2) do have the IPython references; while the latest docs, as Min mentions, show the correct filenames and paths.

MinRK wrote:

It sounds like you might have an out of date version of the docs. The
current version
of that documentation appears to have the right filenames and paths.

-Min

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Philip Matheson <phi...@gmail.com
<mailto:phi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    fixing title

    On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 11:27:07 AM UTC-4, Philip Matheson
    wrote:

        Hey all,

        I noticed that Jupyterhub docs state the following about

            Since the single-user server extends the notebook server
            application, it still loads configuration from the
            |ipython_notebook_config.py| config file. Each user may
            have one of these files in
            |$HOME/.ipython/profile_default/|. IPython also supports

            which is the place to put configuration that you want to
            affect all of your users.

        but the Jupyter docs say the config file is called
        "jupyter_notebook_config.py" (I assume that would also mean
        the sys wide location is /etc/jupyter)

        Is this correct ? I'm trying to load a custom config file when
        a new user server is spawned and not having any luck.

        thank you,

        -phil

MinRK

Apr 20, 2017, 4:11:27 AM4/20/17
to Project Jupyter

I realize that I’ve been going backwards through my email, and Philip fixed the docs himself. Thanks and sorry for my slow replies!

-Min

    <mailto:jupyter@googlegroups.com>.