RISE: animation control in metadata?

Holger Karl

Jul 4, 2016, 6:48:08 AM7/4/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi,

I am struggling to set RISE jupyterslide animation controls via the notebook's metadata. Tried to follow https://github.com/damianavila/RISE, Section "Alternative configuration method".

I would expect the example below to have *some* effect on the animation, but it doesn't. I tried various themes, various transitions - it seems like this setting is just ignored?

Any pointer much appreciated!

thanks,

Holger

-----------------

Example:

{
  "language_info": {
    "file_extension": ".py",
    "name": "python",
    "nbconvert_exporter": "python",
    "codemirror_mode": {
      "name": "ipython",
      "version": 3
    },
    "pygments_lexer": "ipython3",
    "version": "3.5.1",
    "mimetype": "text/x-python"
  },
  "kernelspec": {
    "name": "python3",
    "display_name": "Python 3",
    "language": "python"
  },
  "celltoolbar": "Slideshow",
  "livereveal": {
    "theme": "blood",
    "transition": "none"
  }
}

Carol Willing

Jul 4, 2016, 1:44:34 PM7/4/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com, Project Jupyter
Hi Holger,

Have you tried restarting the notebook server after making the changes to the metadata?

FWIW, my system with the following config seemed to work with your metadata:
  • Jupyter 4.2.1
  • python 3.5.1
  • ipython 4.1.2
  • conda installed
  • RISE cloned from source and setup.py run
Though I did move the location of livereveal and celltoolbar in the metadata file.

{
2
"kernelspec": {
3
"name": "python3",
4
"display_name": "Python 3",
5
"language": "python"
6
},
7
"livereveal": {
8
"theme": "blood",
9
"transition": "none"
10
},
11
"celltoolbar": "Slideshow",
12
"language_info": {
13
"mimetype": "text/x-python",
14
"name": "python",
15
"pygments_lexer": "ipython3",
16
"version": "3.5.1",
17
"nbconvert_exporter": "python",
18
"codemirror_mode": {
19
"version": 3,
20
"name": "ipython"
21
},
22
"file_extension": ".py"
23
}
24
}

I would go ahead and file an issue on the RISE repo if restarting the notebook server doesn't help.

Thanks!
Carol

---
Carol Willing

Research Software Engineer
Project Jupyter @ Cal Poly SLO

Director, Python Software Foundation

Signature strengths
Empathy - Relator - Ideation - Strategic - Learner

Holger Karl

Jul 5, 2016, 2:48:24 AM7/5/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi Carol,

thanks for trying this out. I have a quite similar setup:

* jupyter 4.1.0   (pip only sees this version ?)
* python 3.51
* ipython 4.2.1
* no conda, just pip
* RISE cloned from github

Location of markup in metadata has no effect. Tried with safari, firefox and chrome - all the same.

Turns out, there is already an issue for this https://github.com/damianavila/RISE/issues/195 - silly me :-)

thanks and best regards,

Holger

Holger Karl

Jul 5, 2016, 3:07:40 AM7/5/16
to Project Jupyter
Actually, digging a bit deeper....

I get 404 here:

[W 09:04:13.237 NotebookApp] 404 GET /nbextensions/widgets/notebook/js/extension.js?v=20160705085145

that can't be right? Might that be the source of the problem?

thanks

Holger

Damián Avila

Jul 12, 2016, 10:07:08 AM7/12/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
I can replicate the issue, I will look into this in the next few days.

Thanks for the report.

Damián

Damián Avila

Oct 16, 2016, 3:39:31 PM10/16/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Holger,

This issue was fixed several months ago, so in case you are not subscribed to the issue, just install the beta and report back on the github issue if you have further problems.

Cheers.

--
Damián Avila