Is there a way to implement interactive widgets using an R kernel?

Pav A

Sep 22, 2016, 4:07:07 PM9/22/16
to Project Jupyter
As there's a kernel-independent jupyter-js-widgets?

Thomas Kluyver

Sep 22, 2016, 5:30:57 PM9/22/16
to Project Jupyter
There's nothing quite equivalent to ipywidgets, but I believe the declarative widgets project has R support:
https://github.com/jupyter-incubator/declarativewidgets

On 22 September 2016 at 21:07, Pav A <rootsum...@gmail.com> wrote:
As there's a kernel-independent jupyter-js-widgets?

Denis Akhiyarov

Sep 22, 2016, 10:39:11 PM9/22/16
to Project Jupyter
Could you not expose R function to ipywidget usin Rmagic cells in ipython kernel?

Thomas Kluyver

Sep 23, 2016, 5:49:26 AM9/23/16
to Project Jupyter
On 23 September 2016 at 03:39, Denis Akhiyarov <denis.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Could you not expose R function to ipywidget usin Rmagic cells in ipython kernel?

You could probably instantiate widgets, but making them work with the events coming back from the widgets, and having an idiomatic R interface, would require quite a bit of work, I imagine.