Jupyter-Drive (integration with google drive) beta.

Matthias BUSSONNIER

Feb 3, 2015, 10:56:31 AM2/3/15
to IPython developers list, jup...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

You might all have seen that IPython 3.0 Beta was released not so long ago.
First, thanks for the feedback !

For those unaware, we are working on integration with google
drive as an extension.
Thanks to Google and especially to Kester Tong for helping a lot.

You can find the package on PyPI :

And of course on github :

You can consider this 0.9 version as a 1.0 Beta,
there are still a few missing things like duplication of file,
but the  core functionality will mostly be there.

For now you also still need a **separate** IPython server to run with the google-drive
profile. Cf readme.md.

This version **does not** include real-time collaboration. It will need some refactor
that will be done in IPython during the following year. So do expect next version
of jupyterdrive to probably only be compatible with IPython 4.0.

For those interested there is draft branch on github that start to implement a "mixed" content
manager, that would allow with the same IPython server to access both local hard drive content
and google drive one.

As usual, back up your data, Jupyter-drive is much less battle tested than IPython itself.

--
Matthias

Brian Granger

Feb 3, 2015, 1:46:50 PM2/3/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, IPython developers list
Are we still planning on merging the branch that enabled "mixed" content before 3.0?

Brian E. Granger
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Matthias Bussonnier

Feb 4, 2015, 3:46:03 AM2/4/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, jup...@googlegroups.com, IPython developers list
Quick from the airport.

No and it was not planned, it was "best effort", "would be great to have synced release". Jupyter drive is not Ipython. Release schedule is decoupled.

Though release of IPython 3.0 is needed for me to actually release JDrive because it needs it, I can do whatever with JDrive.

If there are interest in mixed content
And I have time, it might got in before 3.0. But if the use is low I'll focus on real time API.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Brian Granger

Feb 6, 2015, 9:38:17 PM2/6/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, IPython developers list
My only concern is that not having the full integration done that folks won't really use this much as they will have to create a separate profile and start a new server. If we can get this into 3.1, that would enable a lot more people to try this. As with all of our MVPs, we want to get as many people using it as possible to get feedback.

Think about it this way - we have a hypothesis: "lots of current notebook users would like to be able to store notebook on Google Drive."

For us to test that hypothesis, we need as much data as possible (even if it is qualitative feedback). If not many people try it out, we can't make any conclusions about what we have built...

Cheers,

Brian

Kester Tong

Feb 6, 2015, 9:53:02 PM2/6/15
to IPython developers list, jup...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

These are all really good points you make.  I'm going to see what's missing from the current mixed contents branch, so we can figure out if it's realistic to release with 3.0 or 3.1.  The only change in IPython needed is some kind of special folder icon for the Drive mount point (which is /gdrive right now).  But I'll try and figure out if any other changes on the IPython side are needed.

Kester

Kester Tong

Feb 6, 2015, 10:32:22 PM2/6/15
to IPython developers list, jup...@googlegroups.com
After rebasing, the mixedcontents branch seems to work.  It seems realistic to me to have this by 3.0.  There may be some polishing needed, but the basic functionality is there now.

Kester

Matthias Bussonnier

Feb 7, 2015, 1:00:55 AM2/7/15

Le 6 févr. 2015 à 18:38, Brian Granger <elli...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> My only concern is that not having the full integration done that folks won't really use this much as they will have to create a separate profile and start a new server. If we can get this into 3.1, that would enable a lot more people to try this. As with all of our MVPs, we want to get as many people using it as possible to get feedback.

I'll re-have a look then, but I still believe the schedule is unrelated to IPython.
We don't need to release a 3.1 for mixed content to work.

Le 6 févr. 2015 à 19:32, 'Kester Tong' via Project Jupyter <jup...@googlegroups.com> a écrit :

> After rebasing, the mixedcontents branch seems to work. It seems realistic to me to have this by 3.0. There may be some polishing needed, but the basic functionality is there now.

I'll have a look tomorrow.
I'll re-look at the implementation but I think we could even have an even
more generic mixed content manager than takes N contents manager and prefixes
and exposes each of them.

I suppose we could probably try with Scott (IIRC) postgres backend
as an exercise.

Kester Tong

Feb 7, 2015, 2:23:09 PM2/7/15
to IPython developers list, jup...@googlegroups.com
I'll have a look tomorrow.
I'll re-look at the implementation but I think we could even have an even
more generic mixed content manager than takes N contents manager and prefixes
and exposes each of them.

I suppose we could probably try with Scott (IIRC) postgres backend
as an exercise.

I like this idea.  It would be slightly more general and consistent than what we currently use.  The implementation would be simpler since the first path component will always tell you which content manager to use.  Maybe the mixed content manager could be part of IPython?  We could test it out in Jupyter Drive first and move it later (still using regular contents manager by default).

Kester

pablo...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2015, 3:11:00 AM2/15/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, ipyth...@scipy.org
This version **does not** include real-time collaboration. It will need some refactor
that will be done in IPython during the following year. So do expect next version
of jupyterdrive to probably only be compatible with IPython 4.0.

Can you explain what changes in IPython are required for real-time collaboration?
Will the OT happen on the IPython server?
Will it be tied to google-drive?

Matthias Bussonnier

Feb 15, 2015, 11:08:12 AM2/15/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, ipyth...@scipy.org
Can you explain what changes in IPython are required for real-time collaboration?

We are discussing that, among other as
among other.

Will the OT happen on the IPython server?

OT happen on all sides, for the time being only on GDrive,
and gapi javascript library.
The computation of the permeation might only happen on the server.

Will it be tied to google-drive?

In the first time yes to get it working.
But we plan on making it pluggable, and do our best
so that you can have a version that works on close network
and purely open-source software. Though we will need help for that.