Getting Started with Jupyter on a Kerberized cluster

Gerg

Jun 13, 2016, 8:33:08 AM6/13/16
to Project Jupyter
Hello Guys-

We are really happy with jupyter for our data scientists. But recently we kerberized our cluster (HDP 2.4.0), and we couldn't find any article or threads in this group on how to setup jupyter for a kerberized cluster.
Basically we will be running pyspark jobs(yarn mode) from our notebook. is this ever possible with Jupyter on a kerberized cluster?
I would really appreciate if someone can help me with the steps in configuring jupyter for our kerberized cluster or direct me to any article which describes that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gerg

Carol Willing

Jun 13, 2016, 10:13:05 AM6/13/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com, Project Jupyter
Hello Gerg,

I'm hoping that others will jump in with information about using Kerberos.

A thread from earlier this year on Kerberos:

Within that thread (Apr 27 message from Mark Rosen), there is a configuration that is being used at JHU.

Here's also a message from Min that talks about a custom authenticator that would use Authenticator.pre_spawn_start and Authenticator.post_spawn_stop that should be helpful as well: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.jupyter/2545

Carol

---
Carol Willing

Research Software Engineer
Project Jupyter @ Cal Poly SLO

Director, Python Software Foundation

Gerg

Jun 15, 2016, 2:22:48 PM6/15/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi Carol-

Thanks for your reply.
It looks like there is no much information for jupyter to work with kerberos.

Thanks
Gerg

Carol Willing

Jun 15, 2016, 3:14:46 PM6/15/16
to jup...@googlegroups.com, Min RK
Hi Greg,

Min, the JupyterHub lead dev, is traveling this week. I'm copying him on this message since he may have more insights on JupyterHub/Jupyter with Kerberos.

Carol

---
Carol Willing

Research Software Engineer
Project Jupyter @ Cal Poly SLO

Director, Python Software Foundation

Gerg

Jun 16, 2016, 8:31:18 AM6/16/16
to Project Jupyter, benja...@gmail.com
Carol-

I really appreciate that Carol.
Our data scientists are really waiting on getting there favorite notebook work with our new kerborised setup. Thanks Carol

Gerg

MinRK

Jun 16, 2016, 8:58:17 AM6/16/16
to Gerg, Project Jupyter

I’m afraid that I don’t know too much about Kerberos, but it should be doable with the right custom Authenticator and/or Spawner. The JHU setup Carol linked to is probably the place to start. If you have IT folks who know the moving parts for your Kerberos setup, then we should be able to work it out. Here are the pieces of information you need:

  1. How do users authenticate? From the looks of the JHU setup, PAM authentication will work.
  2. How do notebook server processes need to be started? In the JHU setup, they use sshpass to localhost to start a session for each user.
  3. What information needs to be passed to the notebook server and/or kernel processes for a given user? Sometimes environment variables and/or certificate files need to be loaded. The Spawner can do this, as long as you tell it what it needs.

With a bit more details, we should be able to have you up and running.

-MinRK

Deepak Subhramanian

Jun 24, 2016, 6:38:25 AM6/24/16
to Project Jupyter, george...@gmail.com
We are also trying to get Jupyter working with Kerberized cluster. Did anyone managed to get it working ?

Gerg

Jun 27, 2016, 7:45:01 AM6/27/16
to Project Jupyter, george...@gmail.com
Hi Min-

Thanks a lot in getting back on this. We have passed information you provided to our system admins, they said it was really helpful. They are currently working on setting up the jupyter HUB.
I will update this thread soon as we have any anything, which might help others who are in similar situation as us.

Thanks
Gerg

Gerg

Jun 27, 2016, 7:46:26 AM6/27/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi Deepak-

We are not there yet, but information that min provided will be helpful in setting up HUB.
We will update you once we have something

Thanks

Hani Abu Rahmeh

Oct 4, 2016, 5:41:44 AM10/4/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi Greg,

Is it possible to share the set-up?

Tristan Zajonc

Oct 13, 2016, 3:38:47 AM10/13/16
to Project Jupyter
Gerg,

If users run the notebook themselves, as they would on their laptop, this should be relatively straightforward.  Users can just run kinit and their keytabs should get picked up by most Hadoop tools like Spark.  In a multi-user or containerized setup it may be more complicated.

Tristan

Gerg

Oct 13, 2016, 8:24:51 AM10/13/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi Tristan-

I completely agree with you that it is straight forward when you run notebook themselves. But with little complications in getting the jupyter hub to work in kerborized environment, i would say jupyter hub works awesome (Kudos goes to jupyter engineers Min and Carol to name few), after the setup it reduces the work on the admin side and new users can easily get started. Jupyter hub takes care of all the ticket and negotiations that happen while talking.

Cheers,
Gerg

Miguel Ángel González Fernández

Oct 17, 2016, 5:21:49 AM10/17/16
to Project Jupyter
Hi  Gerg,

You meant that with Jupyter Hub the integration with Kerberos is already working ?

Any tip or guide?

Thank you.

MIguelÁngel