Protected Jupyter Notebooks

insearcho...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 12:14:54 PM1/4/18
to Project Jupyter
Are there any mechanisms for protecting content in Jupyter Notebooks?

I'd like to create a Jupyter version of a textbook I am working on and need to consider piracy of the content.

I am guessing that since notebooks are simply JSON files, the answer to this question is no.

Thomas Kluyver

Jan 4, 2018, 12:22:06 PM1/4/18
to Project Jupyter
No, there's no DRM-like facilities to prevent people copying notebooks freely, and we're unlikely to work on any.

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Jan 4, 2018, 7:07:13 PM1/4/18
to Project Jupyter
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:14:54 AM UTC+13, insearcho...@gmail.com wrote:
I'd like to create a Jupyter version of a textbook I am working on and need to consider piracy of the content.

Isn’t that what copyright is for?

insearcho...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2018, 12:41:02 PM1/6/18
to Project Jupyter
:-) Yes, but as an author whose content is extensively pirated worldwide, I know that copyright unfortunately does not mean anything to a many people.

insearcho...@gmail.com

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

Jan 6, 2018, 6:14:03 PM1/6/18
to Project Jupyter
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 6:41:02 AM UTC+13, insearcho...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 19:07:13 UTC-5, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 6:14:54 AM UTC+13, insearcho...@gmail.com wrote:

I'd like to create a Jupyter version of a textbook I am working on and need to consider piracy of the content.

Isn’t that what copyright is for?

:-) Yes, but as an author whose content is extensively pirated worldwide, I know that copyright unfortunately does not mean anything to a many people.

If law doesn’t help, technical measures aren’t going to matter either.

Matthias Bussonnier

Jan 7, 2018, 8:12:21 AM1/7/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
It also depends what you mean by "protecting content in Jupyter Notebooks" does that mean making it hard to copy ? Does that mean figuring out a way to finger-print the notebook in order to easily detect leaked version. Or do you want a more complex tagging that would identify which user have leaked the notebook ?

Completely protecting is hard, but there are potentially soft mitigation to track notebooks if this is what you are looking for.

insearchof answers

Jan 8, 2018, 12:35:35 PM1/8/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias, anything at all that would discourage piracy and would make it possible to track piracy would be great. We're open to all suggestions.

Matthias Bussonnier

Jan 8, 2018, 2:28:30 PM1/8/18
to jup...@googlegroups.com
For the preventing copy-past you can set some cell metadata to `metadata.editable=false`, I think some frontend will then prevent you to copy-past the source. It's pretty easy to get around though.

The notebook top-level metadata supports arbitrary fields. As notebook are json you can easily add a random UUID to these. Once you have a unique UUID per notebook, it's easier to setup a google alert that tell you whether this UUID has been found.

Again it's relatively easy to remove, but you have to know it is there.

If you have a tiny bit more resources, then you can add a second field which is related to the user having bought the book. Again, as notebook are Json it's just a matter of opening the files, adding this field and writing it back.
If you really have a lot of downloads, it can even be done really fast by directly modifying the bytes in files. Simply set this field a first time to a long, know string, lookup the bytes offset of this string, and now you can do a quick raw search and replace.

And you can even be more sneaky, see for example this HN thread[1] with ZW spaces, but you can also use Homoglyphs, to fingerprint leaks.

Preventing leaks will though I'm afraid be close to impossible.

Look at what other authors have done, like Jake van Der Plas, whose notebook are open, but only part of the content that you get with the full book.