Need a summary of Jung's books one must read

cristi balan

Nov 30, 2019, 12:11:26 AM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm interested in Jung theory of self realization. Is there any summary of must-read to start with? I only read about Jung on your site at https://www.carl-jung.net. Thanks.

taoskins

Nov 30, 2019, 12:16:54 AM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
I started with psychology and Alchemy. It provides a great deal about alchemy and a parallel to the individuation process. Many dreams are interpreted as pointing to the realization of the self.

William Dennehy

Nov 30, 2019, 12:46:21 AM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
Cristi,

I would suggest starting with Memories, Dreams and Reflections to understand Jung's own journey toward individuation.

Will

Cristi Balan

Nov 30, 2019, 12:58:12 AM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Should I start with Memories... then Alchemy?

William Dennehy

Nov 30, 2019, 10:21:27 AM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
Cristi,

I've read Memories, Dreams and Reflections probably three times in the last thirty years. As with all books of substance one discovers, becomes conscious of, things that previously went unnoticed as these things were not yet in the wheelhouse. I would also suggest Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth. Campbell had a great respect for Jung and his views helped inform Campbell's teaching and writing.

There is one profound chapter in Memories where Jung is by himself gazing over a savanna in Africa and, to paraphrase, it dawns on him how profoundly unconscious all of nature is, including humankind, and that the world comes into being through the "eyes" of the human, at least those conscious enough to cause the world to manifest in time and space.

You have heard of the saying, As Above, so Below. Well, from my understanding it is a two-way street: As Below, so Above. Jung suggests that the consciousness of humans has an influence if not impact on the collective unconscious although the unconscious more often than not has the upper hand. (ask Job) It is the conscious human psyche alone in nature that becomes the light of the world. If memory serves, Jung wrote in Memories that without humanity the world would not exist because there would be no one to be conscious of it.

I have read Jung off and on for over thirty years and each time I begin reading my dreams not only increase, they are archetypal in nature and should be written down to reflect upon. I am grateful to Jung as he had steered my life in the direction of self-reflection and understanding of human nature without which I would still be stumbling around in the dark making more stupid, unconscious decisions than I already have.

Will

Aropa

Nov 30, 2019, 10:51:35 AM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
You may start with Memories and follow with Alchemy. Also you need a good dictionary of Jungian terms.

On November 30, 2019 7:57:57 AM GMT+02:00, Cristi Balan <cristi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Thank you. Should I start with Memories... then Alchemy?
>
>On November 30, 2019 7:46:03 AM GMT+02:00, William Dennehy
><wden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Cristi,
>>
>>I would suggest starting with Memories, Dreams and Reflections to
>>understand Jung's own journey toward individuation.
>>
>>Will
>>
>>On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 12:16 AM 'taoskins' via Jung For Beginners <
>>jung-for-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I started with psychology and Alchemy. It provides a great deal
>about
>>> alchemy and a parallel to the individuation process. Many dreams are
>>> interpreted as pointing to the realization of the self.

Aropa

Nov 30, 2019, 12:13:23 PM11/30/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
The world exists because we are aware of it but this is not the World but our world. The World is the one of the religious ecstasy.

On November 30, 2019 5:21:09 PM GMT+02:00, William Dennehy <wden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Cristi,
>
>I've read *Memories, Dreams and Reflections* probably three times in
>the
>last thirty years. As with all books of substance one discovers,
>becomes
>conscious of, things that previously went unnoticed as these things
>were
>not yet in the wheelhouse. I would also suggest Joseph Campbell's *The
>Power of Myth*. Campbell had a great respect for Jung and his views
>helped
>inform Campbell's teaching and writing.
>
>There is one profound chapter in Memories where Jung is by himself
>gazing
>over a savanna in Africa and, to paraphrase, it dawns on him how
>profoundly
>unconscious all of nature is, including humankind, and that the world
>comes
>into being through the "eyes" of the human, at least those conscious
>enough
>to cause the world to manifest in time and space.
>
>You have heard of the saying, As Above, so Below. Well, from my
>understanding it is a two-way street: As Below, so Above. Jung suggests
>that the consciousness of humans has an influence if not impact on the
>collective unconscious although the unconscious more often than not has
>the
>upper hand. (ask Job) It is the conscious human psyche alone in nature
>that
>becomes the light of the world. If memory serves, Jung wrote in
>*Memories*

Yoly Zentell

Dec 1, 2019, 7:51:16 PM12/1/19
to jung-for-...@googlegroups.com
Will, that was beautifully said.

Yoly Zentella, PhD
Researcher ~ Writer
Chicano Culture -- Land -- Place

El Norte de Nuevo Mexico

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided for under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message.