Good English Translations of Around the Moon and Mysterious Island

Phineas G

Feb 28, 2021, 8:55:30 PM2/28/21
to Jules Verne Forum
Hello! I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm just delving into the Voyages Extraordinaires. I recently learned of the poor quality of many early English translations of Jules Verne's works. Luckily, most of the reading I've done so far is from good translators. I have a few questions though:
1. Is Stephen White's translation of Mysterious Island (L'Île mystérieuse) good?
2. What is the best English translation of All Around the Moon (Autour de la Lune)?
3. How do I find good translators/translations? Would I be better off just learning French?
Thanks a lot for any input, I'm super excited to continue my journey through the Voyages Extraordinaires!

Dennis Kytasaari

Feb 28, 2021, 9:14:24 PM2/28/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Phineas,

As a start you can find our thoughts on translations of many of the works here:

                http://www.najvs.org/works/

I think that will answer your three questions.

-djk

 Dennis Kytasaari  d...@epguides.com  http://epguides.com/

                                  http://epguides.com/djk/

  Jules Verne- "Mobilis in Mobile"    http://najvs.org/

President and Membership Coordinator  na...@ibiblio.org

   North American Jules Verne Society, Inc.

Phineas G

Feb 28, 2021, 10:40:56 PM2/28/21
to Jules Verne Forum
Thank you very much Mr. Kytasaari!

Don Sample

Mar 1, 2021, 1:01:04 AM3/1/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
The White translation is generally considered better than the original Kingston English translation, but it still condenses parts of the story. The Sidney Kravitz version is generally considered the best English translation

mken...@aol.com

Mar 1, 2021, 9:39:27 AM3/1/21
to Jules Verne Forum
Hello Phineas,

> 3. How do I find good translators/translations?
You can also look here:

Bibliographies:
As a rule of thumb, modern translations are better than old ones.

Greetings
Matthias

Ron Miller

Mar 1, 2021, 9:47:36 AM3/1/21