RE: In Search of Captain Grant 1986 episode 4

Dennis Kytasaari

Jan 21, 2021, 11:26:41 PM1/21/21
to Juliana Riznyk, jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Juliana,

The Jules Verne Forum is back as a Google Group.

https://groups.google.com/g/jules-verne-forum/

Please consider joining.

And thank you for providing the English language subtitles for the six episodes of this production of The Children of Captain Grant.

-djk

 Dennis Kytasaari  d...@epguides.com  http://epguides.com/

                                  http://epguides.com/djk/

  Jules Verne- "Mobilis in Mobile"    http://najvs.org/

President and Membership Coordinator  na...@ibiblio.org

   North American Jules Verne Society, Inc.

Jan 22, 2021, 8:38:09 AM1/22/21
to Dennis Kytasaari, jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I've already joined the new forum. Thank you for the invitation and your kind words with regard to the film.
Maybe I should post the link to the blog with the film once again, what do you think? All the seven episodes are already available there.

Juliana Riznyk

Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Jan 22, 2021, 9:57:42 AM1/22/21
to JVF
Hi Juliana,

Thank you so much for making this available. I'm halfway through the first episode, and so far I'm enjoying the film immensely. Slow-paced, a bunch of details that every Verne fan will be delighted to notice (even if some liberty is taken at times: why the beard on a 34-year old Jules?), and as far as I can judge at this point a faithful adaptation of the source material. What a gem!

In this respect, I can also recommend the 1936 Mosfilm version. I bought it on VHS in Moscow years ago (small bookstore, no antiquarian books, a pile of videos, wholly unremarkable, but one of them had been placed upright on top of the pile, so that the cover illustration drew my attention... sometimes you get lucky), ordered it on DVD later, but it's also available on YouTube if you like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-d4dO9zGrg

Now that we already have 74 members, this seems like a good opportunity to tell each other what our favourite film adaptation is. Mine might be the 1977 Strogoff miniseries, although I also have a weak spot for the 1989 80 days with Pierce Brosnan. And when I've finished the "Search of captain Grant", I'll probably put it in my top 3 as well.

What are other members' favourites?

Cheers,
Garmt

ann19922009

Jan 22, 2021, 10:15:18 AM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
This is so exciting! Also, hi Juliana :)
Mine is totally the Soviet Mysterious Island (1941). I also love both versions of The Children of Captain Grant shot in the USSR.
I've also got a small idea. Could any of you ladies and gentlemen who've seen a Russian Jules Verne movie share your thoughts on it? I would be delighted to later share your review with some Jules Verne fans here
What do you think?

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Jan 22, 2021, 11:39:49 AM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Just in case, here goes the link to the blog with all the 7 episodes of 'In Search of Captain Grant': https://insearchofcaptaingrant.blogspot.com/
There is also a website with the same film: https://sites.google.com/view/captaingrant/

Jean-Michel Margot

Jan 22, 2021, 1:05:07 PM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com, Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Good idea, Garmt. Speaking about film adaptations, I would like to remember my friend Brian Taves, who was the world-wide recognized JV fil expert. His books are all reference material, including his last about Hollywood JV, and the one everybody expects to see out soon about Michel Verne, the filmmaker.

For myself, the two favorites adaptations are Vynalez Zkazy by Karel Zeman (inspired by the Facing the Flag, Face au drapeau) and Le Château des Carpathes by Jean-Christophe Averty. In these two movies, you can "smell" the second half of the nineteenth century.

J.-M.M.

Ron Miller

Jan 22, 2021, 1:12:41 PM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Zeman’s film is just about the perfect Verne movie.

Sent from my iPad

Jean-Michel Margot

Jan 22, 2021, 1:50:54 PM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com, Juliana Riznyk, garmtd...@gmail.com

Juliana,

Your message makes some memories coming back. The silent film you are referring to is probably the Russian film, of which only one copy exists. This copy is in the Film Instutute in Amsterdam from where Gamt and I got a USB copy of it, many years ago...

J.-M.M.

Jean Demerliac

Jan 22, 2021, 2:07:43 PM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com, Juliana Riznyk, garmtd...@gmail.com
Hello, There are also bits of copies at the Cinémathèque française (or Archives du film, AFF) but nothing more. The rights are held by Marc Sandberg.

Jean

Dennis Kytasaari

Jan 22, 2021, 2:38:35 PM1/22/21
to Juliana Riznyk, jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Seven?  I thought there were six.  Yes, please post.

I still haven’t made the time to watch them yet.

Dennis

Dennis Kytasaari

Jan 22, 2021, 2:45:42 PM1/22/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

For myself, I will list my top 3.

1954. Disney “20K…”

1961. Mysterious Island (Harryhausen)

1958. Vynález zkázy

Dennis

Alex Kirstukas

Jan 23, 2021, 2:25:12 PM1/23/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juliana,

Thank you for sharing your work on this film! What a rich tradition we have of Verne films internationally. Zeman's Vynalez zkazy is my favorite too. And it's wonderful to see so many good recommendations!

The 1914 version of Captain Grant was untangled by some London film historians last summer, for an online film screening—the scenes were put in their proper order, with English subtitles and live music. It's still a bit antediluvian, as you say, but much easier to follow! Enjoy.

All the best,

Alex

Juliana Riznyk

Jan 23, 2021, 4:15:06 PM1/23/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for providing this version! It is much more interesting, what with the music and the translation.

Christian Sánchez

Jan 26, 2021, 1:46:03 PM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Great viewing (but I found Captain Grant too fat for a castaway...).