Hachette modern series

Jan Rychlík

Jan 26, 2021, 3:49:39 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Dear Forum members,
there are new Verne series in our country https://julesverne.hachette.cz/knihy/ (vintage translations used in parallel Verne series). This is published by Milan (Italy) subsidiary of Hachette/Lagardère as was the Italian series https://www.fantascienza.com/catalogo/collane/NILF73025/gli-straordinari-viaggi-di-jules-verne/
Does any of you have experience with possible similar series in your respective country? Thank you.
Jan

Eugeni Perez

Jan 26, 2021, 4:18:47 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
hello Jan,
in Spain just have been launched a collection by RBA which seems the same. This is the site :https://tienda.rbacoleccionables.com/julio-verne-2021.
best regards

Volker Dehs

Jan 26, 2021, 5:53:59 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

in fact, it seems that this is an international edition initiated by the italian label RBA. The presentation is identical, and this collection has a curious history:
It appears for the first time in Italian and French in 2003-4, was relaunched in Italy in 2018 and in France in 2019-20, the latter in cooperation with the newspaper Le Temps. Another french emission has been envisaged.
Jean-Claude Bollinger, in an article of the fourthcoming number 201 of the BSJV (appearing in February), establishes that the Temps edition (and I may add, probably the others, too) contain important omissions and many errors in the text, due to electronical transcription which has not been revised and corrected. Bollinger examines only the case of L'Agence Thompson and Co, but I fear that this is not a particular case of this low budget production.

Best,
Volker

Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Januar 2021 um 10:18 Uhr
Von: "Eugeni Perez" <1984e...@gmail.com>
An: jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: [JVF] Hachette modern series

Ariel Pérez Rodríguez

Jan 26, 2021, 6:43:13 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
RBA is a Spanish publishing house, with their headquarters in Barcelona.

They have published a huge collection of Verne's work first in 2002-2003, then in 2008-2009, and they have been publishing other editions.
This year they have launched a collection for children with 60 books, based on Jules Verne's works.

This is the same publishing house that entered the French market in 2019 with a French edition of the Voyages extraordinaires. WIth the same "look and feel" than their other editions in other languages (portuguese and Italian).

Best,
Ariel

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 5:54 AM Volker Dehs <volke...@web.de> wrote:
[...]

Jan Rychlik

Jan 26, 2021, 7:10:53 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ariel and Volker,
it seems that RBA (not member of the Lagardère Grouo) and Hachette series are different series with the same intellectual background.
As for the Czech version, it strikes me that it published the same texts (“modernized” vintage translations) published parallelly by the publishers of either de luxe or general series. I would have expected from the latter editor not to support competitive series by Hachette whose books are 1/2 cheaper. But yes, it is necessary to think the business ways: collectors, at least in our country, are interested in the presentation, not the texts so they will remain loyal to their series or collect both.
Best regards
Jan

Jan Rychlik

Jan 26, 2021, 10:39:29 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks also to Eugeni! Does any of our members know what are the translations published in either RBA (Spanish...) or Hachette/Lagardère (Italian...) series? Are they 19th/early 20th c-y or modern (given that Voyage à reculons is included in the Italian series)? Or are the series based on any former/parallel series of vintage translations (perhaps expanded by re-editions of translations of posthumous novels)?

Ariel Pérez Rodríguez

Jan 26, 2021, 10:41:57 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jan,

RBA's editions in Spanish language are mostly based on Saenz de Jubera's translations from the 19th century / early 20th.

Rafael Ontivero

Jan 26, 2021, 10:49:00 AM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Spanish RBA, at least to the level I know, is is Saenz de  Jubera / Gaspar y Roig somewhat corrected and modernized. For example in From Earth to the Moon, in Jubera

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Rafael Ontivero

Jan 26, 2021, 12:17:02 PM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I sent this before finished.

For example, in Jubera in From the Earth to the Moon, Rocky Mountains are called “Montañas Pedregosas” (stony mountains), but in those editions (and other based in Jubera/Roig), it has been corrected into “Montañas Rocosas”. Apart of that, there are orthography corrections.

From RBA, there had had two editions released twice. One from 2002 with hardcover simulating leather with some illustrations that was released some years after 2002, and then in 2008 a second one more similar to luxury originals and full of original illustrations but without maps.

After that, I think 2018 was released a third version (that I don’t have) more facsimile to originals because for example, Grant was divided in 3 volumes.

Next link you can find some photos from the entire collections and one copyright page of each collection. Plus a facsimile Hatteras scanned:

El 26 ene 2021, a las 16:48, Rafael Ontivero <rafael....@gmail.com> escribió:

Spanish RBA, at least to the level I know, is is Saenz de  Jubera / Gaspar y Roig somewhat corrected and modernized. For example in From Earth to the Moon, in Jubera

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 26 ene 2021, a las 16:41, Ariel Pérez Rodríguez <ari...@gmail.com> escribió:

Hello Jan,

Jan Rychlík

Jan 26, 2021, 3:59:12 PM1/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rafael for the details and the scans. The books are very nice indeed, incomparable to the Czech ones (cheap layout, poor reproductions of illustations, though hardcover volumes, the pages are held together with glue). Oddly enough your volumes are not of similar size, it seems as if the vintage cover design dictated the size.