Documentary

Swati

Feb 4, 2021, 8:41:44 AM2/4/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Could anyone please point me to the latest documentary film on Verne, in either English or French?
--
Best
Swati

---
Envoyé de mon iPhone

Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Feb 5, 2021, 2:29:51 AM2/5/21
to JVF
Hi Swati,

I'm afraid I won't be of much use here... I know that in 2005 there were plenty of documentaries, and I'm sure that local or national TV programs will have run some items since then, but nothing in particular that I'm aware of. Another problem is that many of these documentaries tend to repeat the same old clichés and partial truths that we Vernians try to debunk.

What do you need a documentary for? Is it for your personal use, or for some project you're involved in?

Cheers,
Garmt

Swati

Feb 5, 2021, 3:27:18 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thnx Garmt. Well, Alliance française de Delhi tells me ARTE has just made one (but not yet released) on Verne and India. Hence my question. They are planning to do sth with the new documentary and have requested my participation.

Crovisier Jacques

Feb 5, 2021, 4:07:43 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
There are several documentaries on Jules Verne that can be viewed on the
ARTE web site, in the series "Invitation au voyage".

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/097083-000-A/les-mysteres-croates-de-jules-verne/

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/097546-000-A/jules-verne-voyage-au-centre-de-l-afrique-du-sud/

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/095638-000-A/jules-verne-voyage-au-centre-de-la-baie-de-vigo/

Perhaps the one announced on India is from the same series.

Cheers,

Jacques Crovisier

* Jacques Crovisier
* Jacques....@obspm.fr tel 33 (0)145077599
* http://www.lesia.obspm.fr/perso/jacques-crovisier/
* Observatoire de Paris, LESIA, Bat. 17B
* 5 place Jules Janssen, 92195 Meudon, France
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jules-verne-forum/CAFuNt7eT8gQj%2BK%2B%2BGbpqM%3Dq93Y-Rh%2B8X1GM1o72Awy3Vgr2LQg%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jules-verne-forum/CAFuNt7eT8gQj%2BK%2B%2BGbpqM%3Dq93Y-Rh%2B8X1GM1o72Awy3Vgr2LQg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .
> >
> --
> Best
> Swati
>
> ---
> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Swati

Feb 5, 2021, 4:22:53 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot Jacques!

Lejf Rasmussen

Feb 5, 2021, 6:44:41 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Dear Swati,

Try this address:

University de Picardie has made a nice little introduction to Verne

Good luck
& best wishes
Lejf

--
Lejf Rasmussen

Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Feb 5, 2021, 8:09:32 AM2/5/21
to JVF
Thanks for sharing these links, Jacques. I wasn't aware of this series.

These are quite well made. I like how they focus on one topic or location and flesh that out using some nice contemporary scenery and insights, rather than giving the Nth global and superficial rehash. Good to see our friend Davor being interviewed! (But a shame that all interviewees are dubbed rather than subtitled...)

If this is indeed the series that Swati has been asked to contribute to, that looks promising!

Cheers,
Garmt

Dennis Kytasaari

Feb 5, 2021, 8:34:24 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Sadly these videos aren’t available to viewers in the US. L

Swati

Feb 5, 2021, 9:46:34 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
No no, not contribute to the film. Contribute what afd is planning to do with the film. Probably a discussion.

Swati

Feb 5, 2021, 9:51:31 AM2/5/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Nor in India. 😟

Jan Rychlík

Feb 6, 2021, 6:46:11 AM2/6/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Far from being a documentary or short of clichés, here is a warming up for the February 8. The sreeenplay is by a Czech biograph of Verne whose book (1979, reissued 2005) was based on the biographies by Allotte de la Füye and Jean Jules-Verne and the Hetzel biography by A. Parménie and C. Bonnier de la Chapelle:
The title is as tricky to translate as are Verne's wordplays. It is a Czech term for English "Have a screw loose" or French "Avoir un grain", in this case however meaning to have a talent considered foolish by the majority. It means literally "An extra wheel" - hence the wheel in place of gloriole in the film.