Moving images of Jules Verne discovered!

Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Mar 3, 2021, 5:37:35 AM3/3/21
to JVF
No, this isn't another April fool's prank...

The website MyHeritage offers a deep-fake style tool to animate old photographs:

Obviously, I couldn't resist seeing good old Jules looking, blinking and smiling at me:

This doesn't just work with photos, paintings can be animated just as well, see for example Henry VIII or Venus in motion. A step up from Terry Gilliam's animations for Monty Python!

I've tried feeding it illustrations of Vernian characters, but the AI doesn't recognise faces in the old engravings. Too liny, I suppose.

Cheers,
Garmt

Passepartout

Mar 3, 2021, 5:42:59 AM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Génial !!!

Volker Dehs

Mar 3, 2021, 5:45:30 AM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
wow, that's great!!!
Best, Volker

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. März 2021 um 11:37 Uhr
Von: "Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd" <garmtd...@gmail.com>
An: "JVF" <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com>
Betreff: [JVF] Moving images of Jules Verne discovered!

Jan Rychlik

Mar 3, 2021, 6:26:23 AM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Garmt,
I was thinking about it as well. Still, JV smiles at us through his books above all. I am in Bombarnac now and I feel how happy JV was writing this book. (And how unhappy any modern translator must be when trying to get over his joy.)
Besides that, it seems to me that the app has some problem with beardies:) Young JV would have been welcome!
Best
Jan

3. 3. 2021 v 11:40, Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd <garmtd...@gmail.com>:

Dennis Kytasaari

Mar 3, 2021, 8:05:09 AM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

When I saw the subject and who it was from, I literally and figuratively, checked the date first before I opened this message!!

Cool effect!

Dennis

Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Mar 3, 2021, 8:28:13 AM3/3/21
to JVF
I know, I could have phrased the Subject header a bit differently :-P

g kinney

Mar 3, 2021, 9:32:08 AM3/3/21
to Jules Verne Forum
Counterpoint; there is nothing better than Terry Gilliam's animations.

Okay those deep fakes are partially disturbing and partially very, very cool. We could probably apply a blurring algorythm to the engravings as a processing step and then show them to the AI, that might allow us to see the Baltimore Gun Club moving around!

Jan Rychlík

Mar 3, 2021, 11:00:02 AM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
I guess there are not many engravings with suitable frontal face detail to allow the algorythm to do so. I only do remember one in LE MAITRE DU MONDE #17, some of the boys of DEUX ANS DE VACANCES #6-10 and the portrait of Livingstone in UN CAPITAINE DE 15 ANS #86. Most of the engravings are naturally situation pictures, not that of characters.

Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd

Mar 3, 2021, 11:44:52 AM3/3/21
to JVF
Not even the portrait of Livingstone is recognised as a face... It's nice and detailed, but too different from what a photograph looks like.

Harpold, Terry Alan

Mar 3, 2021, 4:23:49 PM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Oh, oh. Uncanny Valley!

TH

Terry Harpold

Associate Professor of English

Director, Imagining Climate Change

http://users.clas.ufl.edu/tharpold

http://imagining-climate.clas.ufl.edu

http://sciencefiction.group.ufl.edu

Terry Harpold has separate windings for thought, action, and speech.

From: <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Garmt de Vries-Uiterweerd <garmtd...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 5:37 AM
To: JVF <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [JVF] Moving images of Jules Verne discovered!

[External Email]

Swati

Mar 3, 2021, 7:15:48 PM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Garmt’s previous April fool joke was not sent in April. 😊 It came end of March.

--
Best
Swati

---
Envoyé de mon iPhone

Volker Dehs

Mar 3, 2021, 7:23:23 PM3/3/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
I must add that the animation  - for me - is very heartful! Thank you, Garmt!!!

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 04. März 2021 um 01:15 Uhr
Von: "Swati" <32s...@gmail.com>
An: jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: [JVF] Moving images of Jules Verne discovered!

Andrew Nash

Mar 9, 2021, 9:07:13 PM3/9/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Not sure if they had too many hits, but I can’t view “Moving Verne” at the moment, and the “MyHeritage” sites (myheritage.nl  myheritage.com) don’t seem to exist right now… (unless its just me!)

.. Andrew

Dennis Kytasaari

Mar 9, 2021, 9:44:00 PM3/9/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com