Json-rpc response version number

V DG

Apr 3, 2022, 9:17:10 AM4/3/22
to JSON-RPC
I'm implementing a json-rpc server, responding to json-rpc versions 1.0 or 2.0

I have a question about the "jsonrpc" element of the response:

The full request received is first parsed as json, and then analysed as a json-rpc request.  If the parsing phase fails (invalid syntax for example), the server don't have any workable request.

The server than has to respond with a parser error response.

But how could the server know the "jsonrpc" value to send in the response ? It could be nothing (not a json-rpc 2.0 request) or a valid "jsonrpc" "2.0" response ?

Examples in the json-rpc 2.0 specifications ( rpc call with an empty Array, rpc call Batch  invalid JSON, ... ) seems to "force" a json-rpc 2.0 response.  Why ?

Thank you for your reply

VDG

George Georgalis

Apr 4, 2022, 12:27:21 PM4/4/22
to json...@googlegroups.com
invalid json
or
unrecognised json-rpc version
in the default version of the server?

Andrew Arnott

Apr 4, 2022, 12:27:21 PM4/4/22
to json...@googlegroups.com
If the request fails to even parse as valid JSON, the client or connection is badly broken and I wouldn't bother returning a response message at all. Even if the client could parse it, they might not be able to follow-up with another message, depending on how the message boundary is formed between their first and second message.
I would just 'hang up' as a server on the client.

--
Andrew Arnott
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to respectfully say it. And I hope you will return the courtesy when the time comes." - my own twist on S. G. Tallentyre