Clarification of the AGPL license on jPOS.

Sean

Oct 18, 2012, 1:28:58 PM10/18/12
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would just like some clarification on using the AGPL version of jPOS.

If I create a jPOS application and deploy it somewhere, I understand that my application will be AGPL, but if a postilian switch connects to my application and sends me ISO messages does that mean that postilion will become AGPL as well?

I have read lots about it and it has to do with derivative works of the code... and i am sure postilian is not a derivative work of jPOS?

Please could one of the jPOS developers clarify?

Thanks.

Alejandro Revilla

Oct 18, 2012, 2:01:31 PM10/18/12
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com

I would just like some clarification on using the AGPL version of jPOS.

If I create a jPOS application and deploy it somewhere, I understand that my application will be AGPL,

Your application needs to be available to us under the AGPL license. We want to learn from your code in the same way you learn from ours.

but if a postilian switch connects to my application and sends me ISO messages does that mean that postilion will become AGPL as well?

I don't think this would make any sense.

I have read lots about it and it has to do with derivative works of the code... and i am sure postilian is not a derivative work of jPOS?

I don't think that's the case.

Please could one of the jPOS developers clarify?

If your project is not an open source project, you probably need a commercial license.

Rodrigo Hernández

Jul 20, 2017, 1:21:10 PM7/20/17
to jPOS Users
Good morning Alejandro,

I understand that this library allows me to use the iso8583 protocol,
my requirement is to publish a web service
to receive information on purchases at ATMs,
and these purchase data will have to be forwarded to another server using the ISO8583 protocol (using jPOS),
Could I use the community library version?
What are the conditions?

Alwyn Schoeman

Jul 21, 2017, 5:45:48 PM7/21/17
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com
No, the AGPL would only apply to the jPos or any modifications to the jPos itself.

If it worked differently the whole Visa network would be AGPL :)

jPOS is licensed under AGPL - free for community usage for your open-source project. Licenses are also available for commercial usage.
Please support jPOS, contact: sa...@jpos.org