JSON / YAML and Kotlyn support?

EdPimentl

May 20, 2017, 3:29:36 PM5/20/17
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com, jpos...@yahoogroups.com
Hello Jpos and Everyone!!!

Very impressed with the new Jpos Tutorial and others comments and contributions.

Would like to humbly ask if in the future we can expect JSON, YAML and Kotlyn support.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
-E

Alejandro Revilla

May 20, 2017, 3:46:29 PM5/20/17
to jPOS Users, jpos...@yahoogroups.com
Glad you liked the tutorial.

Just added a Tutorials page to the jPOS site (http://jpos.org/tutorials) and it's kind of short, so I guess we'll have to write more of those :)

Regarding your questions, I believe they are very abstract Ed, what do you mean by "JSON" support? Using JSON to configure stuff? using JSON as wire format? Same for YAML. Regarding Kotlin, again, what would you expect, a rewrite in Kotlin? the ability to run Kotlin code from jPOS? The ability to run jPOS code from Kotlin? (you can do that already for both situations in the same way you can run jruby code, groovy code, beanshell, either as QBeans, transaction participants or ISO filters).

EdPimentl

May 20, 2017, 6:15:26 PM5/20/17
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com, jpos...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Was not aware one can use QBeans, Transactions Participants, since most of the code displayed in most of the submitted questions show XML and Verbose Java.

Very EXCITED, to know what is possible. Would Love to see a tutorial which does not use XML or Verbose JAVA and mostly uses JSON/YAML and Kotlyn.

Thank you VERY Much for your response,

jPOS is licensed under AGPL - free for community usage for your open-source project. Licenses are also available for commercial usage. Please support jPOS, contact: sa...@jpos.org

Barzilai Spinak

May 23, 2017, 1:17:39 AM5/23/17
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com
For historical reasons, most configuration files in jPOS (such as QBean deployment descriptors, GenericPackager configs, etc) are in XML and I don't
think that will change soon. It works and everybody can understand them, and they are well documented.

You could try to recreate a deployment file in JSON, but if you want to help, I think your efforts should be better spent in some other areas.

As for the verbosity of Java and its APIs, some of us may agree :-)
But it's an industry standard, and the jPOS family has like 20 years of accumulated code. Also you get much more compile-time static checks that you
don't get with more dynamic languages. And it works very efficiently (and I'm sure that at some companies you could have a hard time convincing the
PHB's that you want to use some esoteric language).

That said, Alejandro has been timidly introducing Javascript and Groovy for some quick scripting.
You also have the historical BeanShell-based classes, but they don't help much in terms of verbosity

I'm very partial towards Groovy, and there's already a GroovyParticipant; and I plan to extend some basic jPOS classes soon in order to allow much
less verbose Groovy code. Also, I want to add the possibility to write filters and request listeners in Groovy. As soon as I find the time :-)

Finally, I think you could write your classes in Kotlin, Scale, Groovy, and compile them externally (gradle helps a lot in that respect) and just
reference them as normal Java classes. All those languages that integrate well with Java and the JVM could theoretically work

Barzilai

On 5/20/17 7:15 PM, EdPimentl wrote:
> Hi Alejandro,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response.
>
> Was not aware one can use QBeans, Transactions Participants, since most of the code displayed in most of the submitted questions show XML and
> Verbose Java.
>
> Very EXCITED, to know what is possible. Would Love to see a tutorial which does not use XML or Verbose JAVA and mostly uses JSON/YAML and Kotlyn.
>
> Thank you VERY Much for your response,
>

> On May 20, 2017 3:46 PM, "Alejandro Revilla" <a...@jpos.org <mailto:a...@jpos.org>> wrote:
>
> Glad you liked the tutorial.
>
> Just added a Tutorials page to the jPOS site (http://jpos.org/tutorials) and it's kind of short, so I guess we'll have to write more of those :)
>
> Regarding your questions, I believe they are very abstract Ed, what do you mean by "JSON" support? Using JSON to configure stuff? using JSON as
> wire format? Same for YAML. Regarding Kotlin, again, what would you expect, a rewrite in Kotlin? the ability to run Kotlin code from jPOS? The
> ability to run jPOS code from Kotlin? (you can do that already for both situations in the same way you can run jruby code, groovy code,
> beanshell, either as QBeans, transaction participants or ISO filters).
>
> --
> @apr <http://twitter.com/apr>

> jPOS is licensed under AGPL - free for community usage for your open-source project. Licenses are also available for commercial usage. Please
> support jPOS, contact: sa...@jpos.org <mailto:sa...@jpos.org>
> ---

> jPOS is licensed under AGPL - free for community usage for your open-source project. Licenses are also available for commercial usage. Please
> support jPOS, contact: sa...@jpos.org
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jpos-users/CANMSB1ZRTFT5AqCWbvo7H%2BcG1Am%3DWXRqgVEyGBXHbyL7RW9Ndw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jpos-users/CANMSB1ZRTFT5AqCWbvo7H%2BcG1Am%3DWXRqgVEyGBXHbyL7RW9Ndw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Barzilai Spinak
Transactility, Inc.
www.transactility.com
"Commercial licensing and support for the jPOS.org project"