Is it optimize to have all parameteres in XML file?

hmmftg

Nov 9, 2016, 3:22:53 AM11/9/16
to jPOS Users
Hi
I'm recently using JPOS to simulate financial transactions based on ISO 8583.
I noticed in JPOS they love using XML a lot of files as configuration parameters.
I have a question in my mind that why they choose this approach?
I want to develop a bigger application which can work with a lot of Servers/Terminals/Transaction/Databases/External Peers(Based On TCP/IP over ISO-8583)/A lot of parameters in DB
 when I tried to imagine such a software with JPOS, I came to a big deploy folder with a lot of critical files which is hard to configure and needs migration from Records in tables to XML tags.
My question is Why they use file system to store configurations and is it a good idea to use that many XML files or should I make changes in my software and let it read configurations from DB?(as it is easier to manages Backup/Modify/Archive/Manage Authorizes and stuff in DB)

chhil

Nov 9, 2016, 4:15:31 AM11/9/16
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com

jPOS is licensed under AGPL - free for community usage for your open-source project. Licenses are also available for commercial usage. Please support jPOS, contact: sa...@jpos.org

Victor Salaman

Nov 9, 2016, 7:44:00 AM11/9/16
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com

jPOS/Q2 configuration is XML driven, because it's hierarchical structure makes sense for our type of configuration. It's also magical, there's a simple deployment model, you create a file, brings up a server, remove that file and that service goes away. Being an open source project, this gives YOU, the developer the opportunity to extend the configuration mechanism so it would read from wherever you want!

/V

Alejandro Revilla

Nov 9, 2016, 8:01:02 AM11/9/16
to jPOS Users

XML was pretty new and cool back in the late 90s when I started working on jPOS. If I’d started jPOS these days, I’d probably use YAML, and actually myself, and I believe Victor too are using YML files, in my case, on some large projects I use YML to generate the XML files, i.e.:

-
  server: aaa
  port: 2001
  channel: NACChannel
  header: 6000030000
  packager: GenericPackager
  packager_config: jar:packager/iso87binary.xml
  destination: net1

-
  server: bbb
  port: 2002
  channel: NACChannel
  header: 6000030000
  packager: GenericPackager
  packager_config: jar:packager/iso87binary.xml
  destination: net

each server would generate the appropriate server XML file.

But you’re not limited to statically XML generation, look at this old PoC, QCluster, that reads deployment files from the database from several jPOS Q2 nodes: http://jpos.org/blog/2005/06/jpos-ee-qcluster/

On a funny note, you may get a laugh out of this tweet: https://twitter.com/apr/status/765923671340883969