Capture a database caracteristics for representative load testing?

joseph...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2020, 1:01:13 PM3/7/20
to jOOQ User Group
hello

Quite often one has many customers, each with its own database, and it's pretty hard to build a representative load testing environment.

I thought that there should be some "database data distribution capture tool" or similar, but i haven't found any.

Since you have quite some experience in DBs, do you know of any such tool?

If not i guess jOOQ would make a good basis for such a tool... suspense ;)

cheers
joseph

Lukas Eder

Mar 9, 2020, 4:27:24 AM3/9/20
to jOOQ User Group
Hi Joseph,

We don't have anything out of the box. It would be interesting to build something completely jOOQ based, of course, but our roadmap is already full with other priorities :)

Personally, I don't think load testing is something that is worth doing with only one part of the system in isolation. You probably have a few layers in front of the database, which contribute to the load in ways that are difficult to foresee with database testing alone (e.g. N+1 problems, to name the most obvious). For that purpose, I would recommend https://gatling.io/.

I hope this helps,
Lukas

joseph...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2020, 7:00:58 AM3/9/20
to jOOQ User Group
Hi Lukas

Thanks a lot once more :)

Regarding a jOOQ based solution, let's see if at work we go for creating one (closed source) or if i find the time to do so on my own (open source this time).

And thanks for letting me know you aren't aware of out of the box tool for this.

Regarding the need to know the wider context, we agree, but still having the database's data distribution is required.

Cheers,
joseph