Move to Maven

tbeernot

May 17, 2020, 4:15:15 AM5/17/20
to jfxtras-dev@googlegroups.com (via tbeernot@gmail.com)
Hi all,

For me using Gradle as the build tool for JFXtras has been a headache causing experience, up to the point where I gave up maintaining it. The initial idea of Gradle is appealing, the practical result -requiring Groovy coding in the build scripts- turns out to be complex. I have had many discussions with collegues and developers about that even though Maven's XML format may not be that easily readable, the rigid structure is what keeps the build process clean. I believe Gradle requires the same rigid structure of lifecycles and plugins (something Andres is working on I believe) in order to not because a second ANT trap. Personally, I've learned from the experience in JFXtras and decided to not use Gradle in any of my projects, because it does not provide additional value: syntax readability is devalued with semantic complexibility.

In short: it is my intention to drop Gradle in JFXtras and switch to Maven. I have already a branch is place with does the build using Maven (god how simple that was to setup), I'm working on the last step of deploying to Central.

Please voice any objections.

Regards, Tom

Gerrit Grunwald

May 17, 2020, 4:17:08 AM5/17/20
to jfxtras-dev@googlegroups.com (via tbeernot@gmail.com)
Go for it 👍🏻

Gerrit Grunwald
Westfalenstr. 93
48165 Münster
Germany

Mark Heckler

May 17, 2020, 11:21:51 AM5/17/20
to jfxtr...@googlegroups.com

Narayan G. Maharjan

May 17, 2020, 1:01:29 PM5/17/20
to JFXtras Developers
+1

Michael Hoffer

May 17, 2020, 2:19:54 PM5/17/20
to JFXtras Developers
Hi Tom,

first of all, thanks for keeping the project alive!

I don't have strong opinions on that. I haven't used Maven for JavaFX projects yet so it will be a good opportunity for me to see how that works :) I have no objections.

Regards,
Michael

--

Dr. Michael Hoffer

Website:  www.mihosoft.eu

Email:      in...@michaelhoffer.de

social-icon-twitter

social-icon-linkedin

social-icon-github

tbeernot

May 17, 2020, 2:26:11 PM5/17/20
to jfxtr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Agenda and more recently ResponsivePane is still enjoying some attention, so doing a bit of maintenance whilst there is not much better to do is no problem. ;-)

Regards, Tom

Pedro Duque Vieira

May 17, 2020, 3:14:19 PM5/17/20
to jfxtr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom and guys,

No objections from me either.
Given you are the one that is currently maintaining and working more with the main jfxtras repo, makes sense for you to use the tool you´re most comfortable with.

Personally I prefer Gradle, though might be because I use it all the time and it's the build tool I'm most acquainted with.
Looking forward to the day where we don't even have to bother about these tools, only actually with programming. Everything will just be done automatically or in a really easy, quick, simple way :)

Cheers,

--
Pedro Duque Vieira - https://www.pixelduke.com

Dean Iverson

May 17, 2020, 6:20:24 PM5/17/20
to JFXtras Developers
Sounds great to me.  I definitely understand why people may prefer Maven and I agree with Pedro that, as the primary maintainer, you get to choose the build tools you're like the most!

tbeernot

May 18, 2020, 2:53:59 AM5/18/20
to jfxtr...@googlegroups.com
Totally not wanting to start a Gradle vs Maven discussion (luckily this is the right audience not to do that) I'd still want to elaborate just a tiny bit on what bugs me. For example the Asciidoclet part that Andres contributed so kindly.

Looking at that code it is well organized and readable. At first glance. But even after buying (and reading) a Gradle book and having spent numerous attempts trying to do it myself, there is no way I could have reproduced that. A javadoc block, and then another javadoc block. Wait... What?

Taking a look at the Maven implementation, then yes this is syntactically verbose with the XML and all, and at initial glance it gives a more complex impression. But if you strip out the XMLness into Groovy style, it becomes straight to the point. Even given that it is a more complex setup with a plugin in a plugin:

plugin {
    id org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:3.2.0
    executions {
        execution {
            goal: jar
        }
    }
    configuration {
        doclet org.asciidoctor.Asciidoclet
        docletArtifact org.asciidoctor:asciidoclet:1.5.4
        additionalOptions {
            additionalOption --base-dir ${project.basedir}
            additionalOption --attribute "name=${project.name}"
            additionalOption --attribute "version=${project.version}"
            additionalOption --attribute "title-link=http://jfxtras.com[${project.name} ${project.version}]"
        }
    }
}

I think someone may start to say that 'yes, but someone wrote a plugin for Maven and in Gradle this was setup in the project'. But that would be making my point. :-D

Maybe the mental Gradle build structure image I have in my head is simply not right, so things do not hook up correctly there, apparently there are people alive who 'get it'. I do not. But hey, I am getting older :-)

Thanks all for supporting the change!

Tom

Andreas Billmann

May 19, 2020, 12:56:43 PM5/19/20
to JFXtras Developers
Hi,

I struggled with gradle and I had my problems with maven.
So either choice is fine with me :-)

Regards,
Andi