Throttling parallel step

Mirek S

Aug 10, 2017, 4:47:42 AM8/10/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi!

I'm using something like this to run tests in parallel:

stage('Test') {
  steps
{
    script
{
      testing_closures
= [one: { print("staring one"); sleep 10; print("finishing one") },
                          two
: { print("staring two"); sleep 10; print("finishing two") },
                          three
: { print("staring three"); sleep 10; print("finishing three") },
                          four
: { print("staring four"); sleep 10; print("finishing four") },
                          five
: { print("staring five"); sleep 10; print("finishing five") },
                          six
: { print("staring six"); sleep 10; print("finishing six") }]
      parallel
(testing_closures)

}

}
}

The main goal is to throttle those closures - I don't want for all six of them to run concurrently - only 3 at a time.

I was thinking about using nodes for this - i.e. wrapping each closure in node{} block:

one: { node { print("staring one"); sleep 10; print("finishing one") } }

Works OK as long as I use master node and limit the executors to 4 (1 for main job, 3 for the node{} concurrent steps).

Unfortunately I need master node executors to be available for other jobs, so I cannot limit them.

So - how do I achieve my goal? Is there a way to create local node similar to master, but not master?

Or is there another way to throttle parallel step?

The only solution I came up with is to create 3 lockable resources of the same label and lock them in each
of the closures. But in reality my closures are already locking resources (for test-machines, there's 7 of them,
but I want one build to use only up to 3 of them), so I would have to have:
  lock(label: 'test-host') {

lock (label: 'test-throttler') {

...code...

}

}
Looks dirty, increases maintenance nightmare and it's adding unnecessary resources (which we already have too much) that do
not reflect the "real, physical" resource.

Mirek S

Aug 10, 2017, 4:49:20 AM8/10/17
to Jenkins Users
The only solution I came up with is to create 3 lockable resources of the same label and lock them in each
of the closures.

Now that I think of it - it wouldn't work anyway - another build of this job would not be able to reach the test-throttler resources, so it would wait for them anyway...