Remove old agent protocols?

Jeff Thompson

Dec 3, 2019, 1:05:18 PM12/3/19
to Jenkins User Mailing List
For historical reasons, Jenkins still ships with old, deprecated
protocols, JNLP1-connect, JNLP2-connect, and JNLP3-connect. These all
have fundamental issues and known bugs. They were all superseded by the
JNLP4-connect protocol released in Jenkins 2.27 over three years ago
(October 2016). They have all been deprecated and unsupported since
Jenkins 2.75 over two years ago. Since then there have been UI messages
and an administrative monitor strongly discouraging their use. (See more
information about the protocols at
https://github.com/jenkinsci/remoting/blob/master/docs/protocols.md )

As part of cleaning up technical debt I propose to remove these
protocols. Does anyone have any concerns? If you do, please share use
case or configuration details.

There is a proposal to add WebSockets as another agent connection
mechanism. (See
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/2c137aa7884fd6360f133964422fd997351a7ebb/jep/0000/README.adoc
) This may cover use cases where someone still uses the older protocols.
We could make the removal of the old protocols dependent on completion
of WebSocket support.

Jeff Thompson

Slide

Dec 3, 2019, 1:59:00 PM12/3/19
to Jenkins User Mailing List
I'm a big +1 on this.

Jeff Thompson

Dec 10, 2019, 2:01:08 PM12/10/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I haven't seen any other responses here than this one from Slide so I'm going to assume lack of response means there are no objections. I also haven't received any concerns about use case or configuration, so I'm not planning on tying this work as a dependency with Jesse's work with WebSockets. Both efforts can proceed independently.

I'm still working on a timeline for when these changes will go in. Currently I'm leaning towards waiting a little before making this change.

Jeff

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 6, 2020, 4:56:48 PM1/6/20
to Jenkins Users
+1 for removal though it should be in the developer mailing list IMHO
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jenkins...@googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 10, 2020, 6:05:06 AM1/10/20
to Jenkins Users
Some updates here:
  • The deprecated protocols were removed in Remoting 3.40. Jenkins agents will not longer support these protocols
  • On the master side, the changes were integrated towards Jenkins 2.214 weekly. ETA is next Monday. The next LTS baseline after 2.204.x is expected have the protocols removed as well
  • Jenkins agent images need to be updated to the new versions of Remoting. ETA is next Monday
  • Swarm Plugin Client is updated, but we need a release
Best regards,
Oleg