Are you recommend to use blueOcean,when creating pipeline

Nalakajayaruwan Kulasekara

Apr 10, 2018, 4:21:00 AM4/10/18
to Jenkins Users

Dear Team,

Currently we used the Jenkins pipeline tool for our CI/CD. First like to thank the effort your team put develop the tool. Because It Is the amazing stable tool in our release team used.

Then the we plan to shift the Jenkins next level call blue ocean concept for our next stage of projects. But unfortunately we faced the current issues in first step when go for blue ocean. Please help following blockers.

Pipeline setup

  • Why SSH only used? (Figure 1)
  • Why do not use user name and password for use authentication ? (Figure 1)

Pipeline Edit View
  • Why the existing Jenkins all plugins not support for blue ocean ,If the not support plugging makes a support puling for blue ocean, what is the method we have to followed ?(Figure 2)
  • How to add the chilled step?

Other Importance areas
  • Can I Know the steps to follow, if we create new blue ocean support Jenkins plugin?
  • Can we use all the functionalities of currently available in Jenkins plugins in blue ocean?
  • Is the Jenkins team recommended shift to  blue ocean to create critical CD?

 we appreciate  to your help to resolved the issues ASAP and quick response .

Figure 1:. Http/https url do not support

Figure 2: Why jenkins plugins does not support in blueocean

Thanks,
Nalaka

Mark Waite

Apr 10, 2018, 7:39:52 AM4/10/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Replies are inline.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:20 AM Nalakajayaruwan Kulasekara <nalakaj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Team,

Currently we used the Jenkins pipeline tool for our CI/CD. First like to thank the effort your team put develop the tool. Because It Is the amazing stable tool in our release team used.

Then the we plan to shift the Jenkins next level call blue ocean concept for our next stage of projects. But unfortunately we faced the current issues in first step when go for blue ocean. Please help following blockers.

Pipeline setup

  • Why SSH only used? (Figure 1)
  • Why do not use user name and password for use authentication ? (Figure 1)

I assume it is because ssh protocol is easier to handle as a programmatic authentication to the repository than username / password.

I recommend against http support.  It sends username and password over the wire in clear text or at least in readily reversible text.

Pipeline Edit View
  • Why the existing Jenkins all plugins not support for blue ocean ,If the not support plugging makes a support puling for blue ocean, what is the method we have to followed ?(Figure 2)
  • How to add the chilled step?

Your figure 2 indicates you'd like support for Subversion.  The Blue Ocean roadmap shows that Subversion is not planned to ever be supported by Blue Ocean.

I don't recognize the term "chilled step".  Can you explain further what you're trying to achieve with a "chilled step"?

If you mean a "child step" (as in extending the components of the Blue Ocean UI), then Blue Ocean is extended by pull requests to the appropriate Blue Ocean plugin.

Other Importance areas
  • Can I Know the steps to follow, if we create new blue ocean support Jenkins plugin?
  • Can we use all the functionalities of currently available in Jenkins plugins in blue ocean?
  • Is the Jenkins team recommended shift to  blue ocean to create critical CD?

Keith Zantow presented a session at Jenkins World 2017 called "Extending Blue Ocean".  Start there for guidance and instructions.

Blue Ocean is an opinionated user interface.  It intentionally works in specific ways and guides the user to operate through specific paths.  It does not support every Jenkins capability (1000+ plugins) and is not planned to ever support every Jenkins capability.

Blue Ocean is a great user interface.  If there is some reasont that it does not meet your specific needs, you can always use the regular user interface.

Mark Waite

 we appreciate  to your help to resolved the issues ASAP and quick response .

Figure 1:. Http/https url do not support

Figure 2: Why jenkins plugins does not support in blueocean

Thanks,
Nalaka

Nalakajayaruwan Kulasekara

Apr 10, 2018, 8:39:04 AM4/10/18