Jenkins Migration

Cornelius Ele

Nov 21, 2018, 2:41:04 PM11/21/18
to Jenkins Users
Hello all,

I am trying to migrate a Jenkins instance from a windows machine installation to a  new .war file installation.
I copy pasted all the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Jenkins to the new systems C:\Users\corn\.jenkins directory.
The SSH remote hosts section in localhost:8080/configure all fails its connection checks, how do I fix this?

Also, I supposedly need to change ownership for new Jenkins file:  chown -R jenkins:jenkins $JENKINS_HOME  (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8724939/how-to-move-jenkins-from-one-pc-to-another?rq=1)
But where and how do I make the ownership changes?

Thanks in advance.

Pranav Kv

Nov 21, 2018, 2:59:38 PM11/21/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Migrating one server to another is not only just copying entire home directory to the new one.. There will be lots configuration sections (hardcoded) on ur exiting instance, so u must configure this things according to ur new instance(config.xml file) and jobconfig before running ur new instance. Recently I had migrated around 1000 jobs from one server to another. (redhat machine, that doesn't have Internet)

Regards
Pranav KV

Cornelius Ele

Nov 21, 2018, 4:24:30 PM11/21/18
to Jenkins Users
Thank you for the reply. Indeed there are lots of local references on the old Jenkins server.
For instance, the GRADLE_HOME is referencing a folder inside downloads folder.
Is there a strategy to change all this simultaneously (through the Web GUI) or otherwise?
It seems like at this current moment, I'll have to go through 50 .xml files on my JENKINS_HOME directory and make sure none of them are referencing locally.

Thanks in advance.