Jenkins Docker Master, Dynamic Docker Agents

femiadenubi

Feb 4, 2020, 1:09:27 PM2/4/20
to Jenkins Users
Hello all, please I need help, setting up a jenkins/blueocean container to dynamically provision docker agents that are used to build images that end up being pushed to an image registry.

I've tried installing and configuring the docker plugin, the docker cloud and agent template, but everything I tried does not work.

It's surprising that on the jenkins documentation at jenkins.io, the jenkins/blueocean image and the docker:dind images were used to setup jenkins, but no single example exist on configuring a docker jenkins slave agent that builds a docker image in one of the pipeline stages.

I believe this is a very common step for most pipelines, given the ubiquity of running applications as containers.

I would appreciate it, if a step-by-step guide can be provided for this scenario to build a maven project.

Thank you for your help.

Mark Waite

Feb 4, 2020, 2:05:49 PM2/4/20
to Jenkins Users
You're correct that there is no tutorial on jenkins.io that uses Docker in Docker to create and publish Docker images.  You might consider the following links as a source of ideas and alternatives (without assuming that any of the tutorials or articles are endorsed or official or best):

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Oluwafemi Adenubi

Feb 4, 2020, 3:53:45 PM2/4/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response. Though, I've gone through the kotacoda tutorial.
Would definitely peruse the other links and revert and hope to propose a tutorial that addresses this concern.

Regards.